[comp.sys.sun] hpterm

edwin@cave.arc.nasa.gov (Jed Datu) (02/24/90)

One of our user groups here is replacing a huge old HP/UX system with Sun
Sparcstations.  His users (astronomers all, not computeroids) are used to
using HP terminals, and SunView and Open Windows confuse and upset them.
Jed would like to find a windowing terminal emulator (like xterm) that
mimics an HP terminal rather than a VT102 or a Tek4014.  Does such an
animal exist?  He has tried setting his TERM environment variable to one
of the HP terminals listed in /etc/termcap, with indifferent success.

Short of bugging HP, is there a solution to his problem?

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (02/27/90)

In article <5292@brazos.Rice.edu> edwin@cave.arc.nasa.gov (Jed Datu) writes:

>Jed would like to find a windowing terminal emulator (like xterm) that
>mimics an HP terminal rather than a VT102 or a Tek4014.  Does such an
>animal exist?

Not that I know of.  HP does have an HP terminal emulator under X (called,
oddly enough, `hpterm') that ships with HP-UX.  I dunno if HP would be
very receptive to selling you the source to compile on the SPARC, and even
they did, it seems that hpterm relies in some way on HP-specific server
extentions (at least, thats what the error messages indicate).

I've only played with hpterm briefly...thats all I know...

       Ken Seefried iii             ...!<anywhere>!uunet!gatech!mm!ken
         MetaMedia, Inc.              ken%mm.uucp@gatech.edu
           Atlanta, Georgia, USA        obquote: "I feel...like a god..."

JARMOLOWSKI@esdsdf.dnet.ge.com (03/01/90)

The "psterm" that comes with xnews attempts to do a "reverse termcap"
terminal emulation. That is, you set your TERM enviornmental and psterm
uses termcap to determine how to emulate that terminal. Given that a
termcap file may not describe the complete behavior of a terminal, the
emulation may or may not work for you. Give it a try.

				Tom Jarmolowski
				jarmolowski%esdsdf.decnet@crd.ge.com
				(609) 722-4298