[comp.sys.sun] type 4 keybord problems

wally+@andrew.cmu.edu (Wallace Colyer) (03/02/90)

We have some sun3/60 that are really upgraded sun3/60's running SunOS 3.5.
The following keys:

	right shift key
	left shift key
	left diamond (X11 meta key)

stop working until the machine has been power cycled. Sometimes a power
cycle doesn't even work.  I have been told that upgrading to 4.0.3 will
solve this, but I am not sure if this is a feasable alternative for us
right now.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

epstein@uunet.uu.net (Jeremy Epstein) (03/03/90)

In article <5399@brazos.Rice.edu>, wally+@andrew.cmu.edu (Wallace Colyer) writes:
> We have some sun3/60 that are really upgraded sun3/60's running SunOS 3.5.
> The following keys:
>
> 	right shift key
> 	left shift key
> 	left diamond (X11 meta key)
>
> stop working until the machine has been power cycled.

The only answer that I know of is to tell your keyboard to behave like a
type 3, instead of a type 4.  To do that, turn the keyboard upside down.
Next to one of the legs there's a little plate you can pry off.
Underneath you'll find a DIP switch...flip #1 and you'll be set.

Jeremy Epstein
epstein@trwacs.uu.net
TRW Systems Division
703-876-4202