[comp.sys.sun] Printer accounting and cutoff for UNIX. Is it possible?

ed@relay.eu.net (Ed de Wild) (02/28/90)

At our department (information systems) a large number of students are
working on Unix systems (Sun, HP). These systems are connected via
ethernet. On the system we have a number of laser printers. At the moment,
students are wasting enormous amounts of paper using the laser printers.
We would like to limit their use of the printers.

Unix does accounting for the printers. Question: is it possible to check
for the number of printed pages and perform a "budget cutoff" when the
allowed number of pages is surpassed? Does anyone have software for this?

BTW: Why does UNIX have a cutoff for disk usage (quota) but not for
printer usage?

Any help would be appreciated!

kre@cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Elz) (03/12/90)

In article <5369@brazos.Rice.edu>, duticai!ed@relay.eu.net (Ed de Wild) writes:
> BTW: Why does UNIX have a cutoff for disk usage (quota) but not for
> printer usage?

When we did the quota stuff, it included everything (you name it, we
controlled it...)  But the disc quota part was the only bit that was
implemented well enough to get distributed - paper quotas were in a local
version of lpr that had (essentially) no network capabilities, etc, when
the 4.2 lpr appeared we trashed ours.

Note: all this stuff was first done in about 3bsd & then again in 4.0 and
4.1 bsd, well before 4.2 was released.