[comp.sys.sun] HELP

pekak@erilin.nokia.se (Pekka Akselin) (03/12/90)

I have a diskless Sun 3/50 which I have tried to boot from a server.  All goes
well except for one thing: I get an error message which says

     ld.so: map heap error (22) for /dev/zero

I can't find anything in the manual(s) about this error message, and I
have tried everything (that I can think of).  So, anybody who has
encountered this error, please help me!  I am doing something trivially
wrong, I know it.  I am running SunOS 4.0.3 and I have put the exec's (for
the Sun 3/50) in directory /home/liza/u3/export/root/linalex. Standard
config only.  The client is generated with script 'setup_client'.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pekka Akselin               Nokia Data Systems AB            Linkoping, Sweden
eMail: pekak@nokia.se     Voice   : (nat) 013 117715      (inat) +46 13 117715

dan@uunet.uu.net (Dan Mick) (03/14/90)

In article <5714@brazos.Rice.edu> pekak@erilin.nokia.se (Pekka Akselin) writes:

|I have a diskless Sun 3/50 which I have tried to boot from a server.  All goes
|well except for one thing: I get an error message which says
|
|     ld.so: map heap error (22) for /dev/zero

I'd be willing to bet something untoward has happened to /dev/zero; it's
supposed to be a magical character device that returns as many zeroes as
the reader desires, and I'll bet it's gotten erased and replaced with a
normal file, or just plain erased...

ld.so uses /dev/zero to clear its own bss (by mapping /dev/zero to the
proper pages).  The lack of any immediate mention in the manuals is
reprehensible.

medin@cincsac.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) (03/14/90)

In article <5714@brazos.Rice.edu> pekak@erilin.nokia.se (Pekka Akselin) writes:
>     ld.so: map heap error (22) for /dev/zero
>
>I can't find anything in the manual(s) about this error message, and I
>have tried everything (that I can think of).  So, anybody who has
>encountered this error, please help me!

The problem is that you are using the wrong architecture for the kvm stuff
on the client.  If you have a SUN-3/50 for example, and you tell it to use
the sun3x kvm directory, you will get the wrong runtime link editor and
get this error.  Fix the mount so you get the right kvm directory for the
client architecture and you're in business...

PS The same thing happened to me, and I called SUN software support, who
managed to figure out what the problem was.  Despite all the complaints
I've read about them, they've done a pretty good job for us...