[comp.sys.sun] Fortran on Sun Workstations

randy@chaos.unr.edu (Randy F. Hall) (03/11/90)

We are thinking about buying some sun workstations. Our group is a bunch
of physical chemists. Our main computer need is number crunching.  I heard
a rumor that there was some serious problems with the fortran compiler for
sun workstations?  Can anyone verify or unverify this rumor?

Randy Hall
University of Nevada, Reno
Chemistry Department
Reno, Nevada

shaig@jade.berkeley.edu (Shai Guday) (03/16/90)

In article <5687@brazos.Rice.edu> randy@chaos.unr.edu (Randy F. Hall) writes:
%
%We are thinking about buying some sun workstations. Our group is a bunch
%of physical chemists. Our main computer need is number crunching.  I heard
%a rumor that there was some serious problems with the fortran compiler for
%sun workstations?  Can anyone verify or unverify this rumor?

While I am not sure about the wisdom of purchasing a sun workstation for
number crunching needs, I have had a bit of experience in compiling
fortran applications on suns. I have compiled fidap, a package of approx.
15MB code with very little tweaking, dependent upon the exact
configuration of the site. Till date, I have not come across any problem
that could not be solved easily and quickly.

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (03/20/90)

>%We are thinking about buying some sun workstations. Our group is a bunch
>%of physical chemists. Our main computer need is number crunching...

I'm not current on the latest hardware from Sun, but in the past, people
who have examined number-crunching requirements carefully have seldom
bought Suns.  Mips, in particular, has consistently had considerably
better floating-point performance.