[comp.sys.sun] SPARCstation under $5,000 ?

ekrell@ulysses.att.com (05/06/90)

The New York Times reported today (Saturday 5/5) that Sun will announce on
May 15th a SPARC machine that lists for under $5,000.  The article said
the machine would have no drives, so I take it it won't have a SCSI bus,
and probably no SBus as well.

What's not clear from the article is whether this is just an X terminal or
a diskless machine that can run SunOS.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

rmk@snowhit.att.com (05/06/90)

> The New York Times reported today (Saturday 5/5) that Sun will announce on
> May 15th a SPARC machine that lists for under $5,000.  The article said
> the machine would have no drives, so I take it it won't have a SCSI bus,
> and probably no SBus as well.

Our Sun account manager has leaked to me that this machine is diskless,
but does have a SCSI connector.  He described it as having the motherboard
of the 4/60 inside the monitor's case.  Only monochrome, initially.  He
did rule out it being an X terminal.  Sun deals in distributed processing
so they won't enter this market.

It will be interesting to see what it's capabilities are.

Richard Kurtz	(816)995-3204	rmk@snowhit.att.com

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (05/07/90)

rmk@snowhit.att.com writes:

[ekrell mentions the little sparc (4/xx)]
|> a SPARC machine that lists for under $5,000.
|> . . . no drives, so I take it it won't have a SCSI bus

|Our Sun account manager has leaked to me that this machine is diskless,
|but does have a SCSI connector.  He described it as having the motherboard
|of the 4/60 inside the monitor's case.

Hmmm, a tight fit I'd think.

|It will be interesting to see what it's capabilities are.

One assumes you mean intriguing versus novel.  Sun had a sales meeting
last Wed-Thur in New Jersey for our region (upstate New York).  We didn't
get much new information but we did get a quotation.  What I find most
interesting is hearing about the shops that already have a truckload of
the new stuff.  It definitely leads me to believe that 99% of leaks aren't
leaks.