[net.unix-wizards] More comments about UNIX Security.

alt%aids-unix@sri-unix.UUCP (06/19/83)

From:  Howard Alt <alt@aids-unix>

Some other comments that I forgot to make or that have been brought to
my attention.

1)  Usenet land will have to live without this mailing list.  There
can be no forwarding of this list to Usenet for the obvious
reasons...(public spool directories, etc).

2) The usefulness of this list will be directly related to the
care that each site takes in choosing the distribution.  It is in the
intrest of each site to take care that this stuff dosn't get out into
public hands.

3)  4.1 has been around for a while, but when 4.2 comes along, I
expect a whole pile of new and exciting ways to bring the machine to a
halt will be discovered...  I think this list will make its usefulness
obvious when 4.2 comes out.

4)  We need some way to verify the addresses at each site.  I suppose
this could be done through the "postmaster" (or "root") at each site
since (presumably) it is handled by a responsible person.

5)  Another way to do the distribution is the following:  Have the
postmaster or root send in a list of people at each site that should be
on the list.  Then, distribute the list, have people look over it, and
comment on people they know to be "Badguys".  Perhaps take a second
look at people who refrence each other, or somthing like that.
Hopefully, we can come up with a method.  Perhaps through the Arpanet
Liason, since that name is listed where all can read it and say "a real
person".

6)  I assume the mail between Arpanet and CSNET is not public access...
correct?

Please don't flame me about the "Insecurity of mailers", because I know.
If someone has any better ideas or thoughts, bring them out into the
open.

	Cheers,
		Howard.

SJOBRG.ANDY%MIT-OZ%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (06/21/83)

This isn't a flame about the insecurity of mailers (even tho most of
them are insecure and the ``bad guys'' know how to get into the queues).

However, most sites have insecure @i(mailboxes). What about those sites?
(for ex: when oz is on arpa, mailboxes are ftp'able out)

alt%aids-unix@sri-unix.UUCP (06/21/83)

From:  Howard Alt <alt@aids-unix>

Unforutnatly, the systems that are incredibly insecure must be excluded
from the mailing list.  Like (sorry), the ITS machines.  I'm sure that
there are others... Probably a good policy is only Unix machines.
(boy am I going to hear about this one...)

From:  Andrew Scott Beals <SJOBRG.ANDY%MIT-OZ@mit-mc>

yes, you're going to hear about that one...

Unfortunately, my only net access is via mit, and for some
strange reason (bullheadedness, no doubt), unix is treated
like a toy around here.. (sigh) therefore, all of their
arpa hosts are non-unix machines.

hmm... well, maybe the list could be distributed
to ANY host, but crypt and then uuencode the messages at your
own local host... at least this way, i can get the list,
>and< it's avail only to the pople with the key... (someone
would have to phone or snailmail the key to all of the list
recipients)...therefore, it is `more' secure...unless the
devious types at a site have crypt trojan-horsed to keep
records of keys... (heh heh)
-------

FIGMO%usc-eclc@sri-unix.UUCP (06/21/83)

From:  Lynn Gold <FIGMO@usc-eclc>

Date: 20 Jun 1983 18:22-PDT
From: Howard Alt <alt@aids-unix>
Subject: Re: More comments about UNIX Security.
To: SJOBRG.ANDY@mit-oz, mit-mc@aids-unix
MMDF-Warning:  Parse error in preceeding line at BRL.ARPA
Cc: unix-wizards@brl

Unforutnatly, the systems that are incredibly insecure must be excluded
from the mailing list.  Like (sorry), the ITS machines.  I'm sure that
there are others... Probably a good policy is only Unix machines.
(boy am I going to hear about this one...)
	Howard.

*************
You're right (not your idea, but that you're going to hear about this
one).  What makes you think that Unix is any more secure than any other
operating system?  Yeah, the ITS machines are insecure, but 1) There
are those of us who have our "ARPAnet junk mail" sent to an ITS site,
from which it is forwarded to a more secure site.  I do this because
when my system is off the air for one reason or another (our ECU died
Friday and won't be fixed till at least Thursday), I can manually re-
route the forwarding to another mailbox where I can answer it without
it bouncing back like crazy.

As for secure/insecure sites, TOPS-20 and Tenex sites are about as
secure as Unix sites.  Much of how secure a site is has to do with
how it's run.  If you have a site on which everybody's mother, brother
and sister and pet rock has every available priviledge known to mankind,
your site is likely to be less secure than one with a limited number
of privileged users.

--Lynn
-------

greep%su-dsn@sri-unix.UUCP (06/21/83)

I like the idea of encrypting these messages.  Among other things, then
we can apply the recent discussion about password selection to key selection,
e.g. should encryption keys like "unix-wreckers" spelled sideways be
disallowed.  One problem would be if something happens to encrypt to the
string "From" at the beginning of a line, and some losing mail system
changes it to ">From".

Of course, another way to look at it is that the list will be so successful
that soon all the holes will be plugged and there won't be any harm to
letting randoms see the messages, which will consist only of congratulatory
commendations on doing such a spendid job of fixing everything.  With all
the wizards around, this should happen in a jiffy (or by the time we all
have unix running on our pocket calculators, at which time the issue will
become moot since shared systems will have become obsolete).

smh@mit-eddi.UUCP (Steven M. Haflich) (06/25/83)

OS security is such a challenging intellectual problem (like chess) that
its public discussion ought to be justified for that reason alone!  More
practically, everyone on the net should realize that it is almost
impossible to restrict information flow.  Three people can keep a secret
if two of them are dead, as the old saying goes.

One wizard at a site receives the security mailing, properly passes it on
to other wizards, but all it takes then is for one of them to leak the
info innocently of not to unauthorized readers.  (E.g., I have friends
at a university site, out of state and not on the net, who could
reasonably qualify for distribution.  What if I innocently pass the
stuff onto them, but they incorrectly understand the need for security.)

If you want to discuss security issues, best to do it in public.  At the
very least, assume the discussion IS public, despite best efforts to the
contrary.