[net.news.group] mod.recipies

todd@reed.UUCP (Todd Ellner) (11/04/85)

This is another vote for mod.recipies

                               Todd Ellner

craig@dcl-cs.UUCP (Craig Wylie) (11/07/85)

In article <2103@reed.UUCP> todd@reed.UUCP (Todd Ellner) writes:
>This is another vote for mod.recipies
>
>                               Todd Ellner

Not again -- where is the demonstrated volume of postings, I haven't seen
a single recipie on the network (if I'm looking in the wrong places
then sorry and could you please re-direct me to the news groups
that contain said postings).

Most recipies are available via your local bookshop, unless we are actually
talking about creat(e)ing new recipies then this must be an un-needed
load on the system.

Unless otherwise shown a volume of postings:-

		A no vote for net.recipies

			Craig.

tomb@tekecs.UUCP (Tom Beach) (11/14/85)

> Not again -- where is the demonstrated volume of postings, I haven't seen
> a single recipie on the network (if I'm looking in the wrong places
> then sorry and could you please re-direct me to the news groups
> that contain said postings).
>
> 		A no vote for net.recipies
>

> 			Craig.

I don't know where you're looking, or even if you really are,
but you'll FIND them in net.cooks, normally in response to a:
can somebody give me a ... ? type message. I don't count, but
I'd estimate we're looking at 10-20 recipe postings/ week.
Not massive volume, but significant. BTW you're the first
no vote to  ~12 Yes.

Some of these are in fact original, others are referenced to
the original source. Have we enough votes to act on this yet?
If not, how many do we need?

--
Tom Beach

email: ..tektronix!tekecs!tomb

"The past is another country;
	they do things differently there."

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/15/85)

I'd normally mail this directly, but Tom seems to have provided
the very reason for not making net.recipes.

In article <5835@tekecs.UUCP> tomb@tekecs.UUCP (Tom Beach) writes:
>> Not again -- where is the demonstrated volume of postings, I haven't seen
>> a single recipie on the network (if I'm looking in the wrong places

>I don't know where you're looking, or even if you really are,
>but you'll FIND them in net.cooks, normally in response to a:

Where else should recipes be than in net.cooks?  If net.recipes
was initiated, what would be left in net.cooks?  Not much.
And, almost everything could be legitimately cross-posted to *both*.
Ask yourself, what things are in cookbooks?  recipes.  What else?
Stuff highly related to recipes.  What else?  Nutrition?  That's a recipe
too!

Count me as a no.

Maybe your question should be "should we change the name of net.cooks
to net.recipes".  No to that too.  (then where would the rest of the
stuff in net.cooks go?)
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (11/18/85)

> I'd normally mail this directly, but Tom seems to have provided
> the very reason for not making net.recipes.
>
> In article <5835@tekecs.UUCP> tomb@tekecs.UUCP (Tom Beach) writes:
> >> Not again -- where is the demonstrated volume of postings, I haven't seen
> >> a single recipie on the network (if I'm looking in the wrong places
>
> >I don't know where you're looking, or even if you really are,
> >but you'll FIND them in net.cooks, normally in response to a:
>
> Where else should recipes be than in net.cooks?  If net.recipes
> was initiated, what would be left in net.cooks?  Not much.
> And, almost everything could be legitimately cross-posted to *both*.
> Ask yourself, what things are in cookbooks?  recipes.  What else?
> Stuff highly related to recipes.  What else?  Nutrition?  That's a recipe
> too!
>
> Count me as a no.
>
> Maybe your question should be "should we change the name of net.cooks
> to net.recipes".  No to that too.  (then where would the rest of the
> stuff in net.cooks go?)
> --
> Chris Lewis,
> UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis
> BELL: (416)-475-8980 ext. 321

The discussion of a new group arose in net.cooks to allow a
net cookbook to be created. There is a LOT of discussion in
net.cooks that doesn't include recipes: the best type of
cookware; is it a good idea or not to get a microwave oven and
why; I'm having a problem getting something to turn out right,
anyone have any suggestions on how to make whatever work;
requests for recipes; etc.

A new group should be created that is a "subgroup" of
net.cooks, such as "mod.cooks.recipes." I say mod. rather
than net. since a volunteer has stepped forward to moderate it
and edit any posted recipes as needed to format them for a net
cookbook.
Suzanne Barnett-Scott

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

krossen@bbncca.ARPA (Ken Rossen) (11/21/85)

In article <887@terak.UUCP> suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) writes:
>     The discussion of a new group arose in net.cooks to allow a net
>     cookbook to be created.

Yes.  I am a great fan of net.cooks and I remember this.  I thought it was
a silly idea then, and what with non-technical newsgroups under closer
scrutiny every day by them that pays the bills, I think it's an even
sillier idea.

You're telling me you can't get a "net cookbook" out of what already exists
in net.cooks?  I can, and do.  I save the recipes I want, and I print them
and put them in a binder.  Why is this so hard?

Yes, I know.  The idea was to keep them in nroff source form.  This perk
hardly justfifies an increase in net traffic.  People WILL double-post
their recipes to net.cooks and net.recipes.

>     A new group should be created that is a "subgroup" of net.cooks, such
>     as "mod.cooks.recipes." I say mod. rather than net. since a volunteer
>     has stepped forward to moderate it and edit any posted recipes as
>     needed to format them for a net cookbook.

I remember this too, and I say, let him save all recipes posted to
net.cooks and accept recipes by mail.  He can format them and maintain a
net cookbook on his machine, and people who want a copy can send him mail.
He can periodically post a BRIEF announcement of same in net.cooks.  But I
seriously doubt the cost of sending mod.recipes around the world is
justified by the number of people who feel the need to have their recipes
formatted "just so," especially when additional USENET traffic, particularly
non-technical traffic, is at such a premium.

net.recipes is a BAD idea.  mod.recipes is also a bad idea.  We don't need
increased traffic that supplies no additional information to what exists.
So a net.cooks reader votes NO to net.recipes in any form.
--
Ken Rossen	...!{decvax,ihnp4,ima,linus,harvard,seismo}!bbncca!krossen
--- or ---	krossen@bbnccp.arpa