[comp.sys.sun] Cleaning Exabyte tapes ??

eckert@faui43.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Toerless Eckert) (05/31/90)

We have some 8mm Exabyte tape drives, conected to Sun workstations.  One
of the tape seems to have problems writing data now, and we thought that
this might be a problem of cleaning. Audio and video tape drives have to
be cleaned sometimes, and to be demagnetized.

Has anyone experiences with this procedures on 8mm videorecorders, as
those have  the same hardware as those 8mm Exabyte drives.

Has anyone already demagnetized or cleaned his Exabyte ?  Help welcome,
please reply by mail, i'll summarize to the net..

Toerless Eckert          | /C=de/A=dbp/P=uni-erlangen/OU=informatik/S=eckert
V.4: Noah's ark of Unix  | X.400 ^ Internet> eckert@informatik.uni-erlangen.de

faunt@cisco.com (Doug Faunt N6TQS 415-688-8269) (06/01/90)

Exabyte included a cleaning cart with our new unit, and sells cleaning
carts.  They reccomend cleaning fairly often, actually.  Don't have the
figure to hand, though.

tonyr@tekadg.adg.tek.com (Tony Rick) (06/01/90)

In article <8388@brazos.Rice.edu> faunt@cisco.com (Doug Faunt N6TQS 415-688-8269) writes:
>Exabyte included a cleaning cart with our new unit, and sells cleaning
>carts.  They reccomend cleaning fairly often, actually.  Don't have the
>figure to hand, though.

I talked to Exabyte some months ago about this.  They told me every thirty
days or 30 Gbytes (your mileage may vary).  They also told me that
cleaning was REQUIRED to keep the warranty in effect.  Anybody from Sun or
Exabyte care to respond?

Tony Rick
Tektronix, Inc.  Beaverton, OR USA
email:tekadg.adg.tek.com