[comp.sys.sun] Cursor keys are dead - HELP!

GILLA@qucdn.queensu.ca (Arnold G. Gill) (05/29/90)

About a month ago, the cursor keys on our SPARCstation 1 stopped working
in vi and textedit.  (They beep with no subsequent actions, or just do
nothing at all.)  Does anyone have any idea of how to fix this, or what
some dope with superuser status changed?  In fact, I need pretty explicit
instructions on how to correct this (unix illiterate).  Anyone capable of
helping me out??  Thank you.

In case this means anything, the cursors keys seem to be sending the
following (what appears on the screen at the csh prompt - not in sunview):
uparrow ^[[215z  leftarrow ^[[217z  rightarrow ^[[219z  downarrow ^[[221z

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (05/30/90)

In article <8237@brazos.Rice.edu> GILLA@qucdn.queensu.ca (Arnold G. Gill) writes:

>About a month ago, the cursor keys on our SPARCstation 1 stopped working
>in vi and textedit.  (They beep with no subsequent actions, or just do
>nothing at all.)  Does anyone have any idea of how to fix this, or what
>some dope with superuser status changed?  In fact, I need pretty explicit
>instructions on how to correct this (unix illiterate).  Anyone capable of
>helping me out??  Thank you.
>
>In case this means anything, the cursors keys seem to be sending the
>following (what appears on the screen at the csh prompt - not in sunview):
>uparrow ^[[215z  leftarrow ^[[217z  rightarrow ^[[219z  downarrow ^[[221z

Sounds like about a month ago, someone uses your account (if it was the
same one) and change some settings using defaultsedit. Try this:

(1) run defaultsedit (man defaultsedit and read about it if you like)
(2) click the "Category" icon until it shows "Input".
(3) Under entry "Sunview_Keys", make sure it reads (Yes)
(4) Under entry "Arrow_Keys", make sure it reads (Yes) <- this is probably
							  what's kills you
(5) save the changes and exit defaultsedit

You should get back the arrow keys.

GILLA@qucdn.queensu.ca (Arnold G. Gill) (06/01/90)

I'll have to add one little thing to my original posting.  It is true that
someone had run the defaults editor and turned off the action of the
cursor keys.  However (and this is a big one), this change was GLOBAL to
*ALL* users, including root, and there is no guarantee that it was done
from my account.  In fact, last night, from my very non-privileged
account, I changed it back.  Everyone's account was corrected.

It seems to me that there is something very wrong when changes that should
be local to my account affect the usage of the entire system.  This sounds
a lot like a serious bug to me - even if it was caused because the system
was not installed correctly.  By the way, we are using SunOS 4.0 on a
SPARCstation 1.

Arnold Gill
Queen's University at Kingston
BITNET   : gilla@qucdn
X-400    : Arnold.Gill@QueensU.CA
INTERNET : gilla@qucdn.queensu.ca

guy@uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) (06/03/90)

>I'll have to add one little thing to my original posting.  It is true that
>someone had run the defaults editor and turned off the action of the
>cursor keys.  However (and this is a big one), this change was GLOBAL to
>*ALL* users, including root, and there is no guarantee that it was done
>from my account.

For better or worse, neither "login" nor "sunview" nor any program like
that automatically resets keyboard translations to some "standard" value
when a user logs in; the translations are left alone, so if you change
them the next user gets your translations.

"input_from_defaults" *does* reset them based on what's in the
"defaultsedit" database; if you stick one in your ".profile" or ".login" -
making sure you use it only if you're running from a workstation console -
you, at least, won't get stuck with some other user's preferences.

If you think translations should be automatically reset when you log in,
lobby Sun.  This will probably be fixable in the next major release from
Sun, as that release will be S5R4-based and the S5R4 C shell has, as I
remember, a "global .login file" similar to the Bourne/Korn shell's
"/etc/profile"; you could stick some command to reset the translations
into those files.