[comp.sys.sun] Sun to Xenix UUCP

don@mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov (06/07/90)

We've had a UUCP link for a couple of years between a Xenix 286 (2.1)
machine running old-fashioned system V UUCP (my side), and a Sun3 running
version 3.? of SunOS (their side).  Worked just fine.

Recently, the Sun was upgraded to a more recent version of SunOS (4.1)
which apparently replaces the UUCP implementation with the HoneyDanBer
suite.

Guess what... can't connect any more.  The xenix machine can log in to the
Sun, (I get a "SUCCEEDED" msg in the log), but i then get a "HANDSHAKE
FAILED" message and the session fails.

According to the sysadmin on the other end, the account is set up
correctly, and other machines are logging in using similar accounts.

I haven't had a chance to sit down at the Xenix machine (I'm not usually
at the site where its at) and run a uucico session with debug turned up
high...  Before I do that, can anyone tell me if I'll be wasting my time?

This newsgroup is NOT part of my newsfeed; if you follow up, PLEASE email
me a copy of the article!  The usual drooling thanks in advance...

Don Kossman, SEI Information Technology, Los Angeles
...mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov!seila!don

rasmus@cs.utexas.edu (Rasmus Lerdorf) (06/09/90)

In <8644@brazos.Rice.edu> seila!dksfr!don@mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov writes:
>Recently, the Sun was upgraded to a more recent version of SunOS (4.1)
>which apparently replaces the UUCP implementation with the HoneyDanBer
>suite.
>Guess what... can't connect any more.  The xenix machine can log in to the
>Sun, (I get a "SUCCEEDED" msg in the log), but i then get a "HANDSHAKE
>FAILED" message and the session fails.

Odd, my problem is just the opposite.  We just upgraded our Sparc Stations
to 4.1 and our connection with a Xenix site was broken as well.  However,
the Xenix site can log in fine.  Problem is that I can't get the chat
script to connect on the Xenix site.  It seems that the Xenix site does
not recognize the character we send for ^M (carriage return).  The uucico
-x5 shows that the ^M's are sent, but they don't register on the other
end.  Sending a ^J (linefeed) seems to do the trick, but then the login
still fails with a login incorrect message.  I dunno, I think it's a
parity problem.  There was a problem on the serial port which I fixed
through eeprom.  I did a shutdown and a halt and brought the system back
up after fixing the parity setting.  Do I need to turn the machine
completely off for the setting to take effect or something?

Rasmus Lerdorf          | rasmus@contact.uucp (Home) (416) 833-6987 145
Kingsworth Rd.          | U of Waterloo Systems Design Engineering '93 King
City, Ont. L0G 1K0      | ..!geac!dmntor!rasmus (Work) (416) 362-0788 x49