[comp.sys.sun] Console extender cables question

tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) (05/24/90)

In article <8056@brazos.Rice.edu> (v9n177/8) (Roger Hanscom) writes:
>Anybody out there have experience with these 3rd party cables that allow
>the CRT for a Sun to be placed x feet from the CPU??  I've seen ads for
>two types: regular (just cables??) and amplified.  Is one type better than
>another??  The idea here is to move the 19" color monitor about 50 - 75'
>from the 4/330 (hovercraft) desk-side unit.  The user can't stand the fan
>noise any more.

On a similar note, how about cables for moving a hi-res (HM) monitor about
50'-75' from the computer (in this case, a 3/280 which we would like to
re-locate to a proper computer room from its current home in an
airconditioned lab.)

Also, Roger, please summarize any replies that you receive. We would also
be interested in remote'ing a colour monitor.

carre@ensl.ens-lyon.fr (Giles Carre) (05/29/90)

In article <8056@brazos.Rice.edu> rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Roger Hanscom) writes:

>Anybody out there have experience with these 3rd party cables that allow
>the CRT for a Sun to be placed x feet from the CPU??

Here, our empiric, but effective, experience :

for		| CRT			| from WS to CRT
4/330 CG9	| color 19"		| 45 m
4/330		| monochrome M01 19"	| 30 m
3/260 HM	| monochrome HM01 19"	| 30 m and one correct try at 60 m

In all cases :

. CRT : just 4 coaxial cable, 75 Ohm (RG 59 type), without amplification,
  and simply WWB 9 (monochrome) or BNC (color) connectors.
. keyboard : simply no twisted pair, whith one shield

NB : we have no industrial noise.

For France only : realisation du cable et de la connectique, pour environ
                  3500 FHT (30 m) chez :

	Organimar		Technico commercial : Eric Tande'
	5, rue de l'Harmonie
	69007 Lyon
	72.34.57.57

Giles Carre	Laboratoire de l'Informatique du Parallelisme (LIP)
Ecole Normale Superieure   46, allee d'Italie  69364 LYON CEDEX 07 FRANCE
Phone    : (+33) 72 72 84 12	EARN/BITNET 	 : carre@frensl61
Fax	 : (+33) 72 72 80 80	FNET/EUNET/UUNET : carre@ensl.ens-lyon.fr

tims@uunet.uu.net (Tim Sesow) (05/29/90)

In article <8056@brazos.Rice.edu> rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Roger Hanscom) writes:

>Anybody out there have experience with these 3rd party cables that allow
>the CRT for a Sun to be placed x feet from the CPU??

We have a Sun3/260 with hi-res frame buffer that uses a set of cables from
NuData of Little Silver, NJ. to place the keyboard and monitor 50 ft away.
There are no amplifiers and we have been using them for at least a year.
The cables are expensive (video for ~$295, keyboard for ~$135) but the
cost to build them ourselves was almost as high (200ft of RG-59, 50 ft of
three-pair shielded cable, four shielded DB-15s, 50 feet of 18 gauge, plus
labor).

stephen@corp.telecom.co.nz (Richard Stephen) (06/11/90)

In article <8056@brazos.Rice.edu> rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Roger Hanscom) writes:

>Anybody out there have experience with these 3rd party cables that allow
>the CRT for a Sun to be placed x feet from the CPU??

We have a Sun 3/260 with the standard color frame buffer and 19" monitor.
We are driving the monitor and keyboard/mouse from a 150 foot Workstation
extender made by Artecon (Carlsbad, CA; Voice 800-USA-ARTE; FAX
619-931-5527).  It works just fine.

What you get is a very large cable (1" diameter) that bundles 4 individual
coax cables for the video and one keyboard cable along with a small box of
electronics that is simply a power supply for the keyboard/mouse. The
video is driven directly down the coax cables with no
amplification/buffering.

It cost US$895. Their latest catalog shows extenders to support
monochrome, High Resolution and Color for Sun 3 and 4 in lengths from 13 -
150 feet.

One catch for readers outside North America: the power supply is designed
for US 110v only. However we are using a step down transformer 230/110v
with no problems.

Richard Stephen                           Technology Strategy
e-mail: stephen@corp.telecom.co.nz        Telecom Corporate Office
voice : +64-4-823 180                     Telecom Corporation of NZ Ltd
FAX   : +64-4-732 929                     P O Box 570, Wellington
                                          New Zealand