[comp.sys.sun] 3/80 Boot troubles continue!!

giacobbe@pilot.njin.net (Jeff Giacobbe) (06/01/90)

First off:  MANY THANKS to all who replied to my first cry for help!

Your general concensus was that the rpc.bootparamd daemon was not working
as it should.  I tried kill it and restarting it, killing/restarting inetd
*then* rpc.bootparamd and I checked and rechecked my hosts and export
files.  I also did an exportfs.

EVERYTHING seems to be in order (but it obviously isn't :-( )

When I start rpc.bootparamd in debug mode and then try to boot a client, I
get the following error about 50 times (until the boot attempt times out)

bp_getclntent failed.
bp_getclntent failed.
bp_getclntent failed.

(you get the idea ;-) )

Does anyone know what the heck this error means?? I can't seem to find it
in any manual.

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated, as this Sun 4/260 is
currently a very expensive stand-alone workstation instead of being a
server!

Thanks again,

Jeff
@xxxxx{==============-    giacobbe@pilot.njin.net    -==============}xxxxx@
|                                   or 					  |
|                      giacobbe@apollo.montclair.edu                      |
|                "There can be only one..." - (Highlander)                |
@xxxxx{==============-                               -==============}xxxxx@

jms@tardis.tymnet.com (Joe Smith) (06/15/90)

In article <8394@brazos.Rice.edu> giacobbe@pilot.njin.net (Jeff Giacobbe) writes:

>When I start rpc.bootparamd in debug mode and then try to boot a client, I
>get the following error about 50 times (until the boot attempt times out)
>	bp_getclntent failed.

Have you verified that the name in /etc/bootparamd is the workstation's
primary name and not one of its aliases?

1) Verify that the workstation's ethernet address is in /etc/ethers.
	tardis% ypmatch 8:0:20:6:17:da ethers.byaddr
	8:0:20:6:17:da	romana

2) Determine the workstation's primary name, 2nd field in /etc/hosts.
	tardis% ypmatch romana hosts.byaddr
	131.146.99.99	romana romana.tymnet.com
  In this case, the primary name is "romana", the alias is "romana.tymnet.com"

3) Verify that the primary name is found in /etc/bootparams.
	tardis% ypmatch romana bootparams
	root=tardis:/export/root/romana swap=tardis:/export/swap/romana
   Note that if the two names for romana were swapped in /etc/hosts, then
   rpc.bootparamd would not find the client's entry in the YP map.

4) If needed, "touch /etc/hosts /etc/ethers /etc/bootparams; cd /var/yp;
   make".

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C41    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."