[comp.sys.sun] Lpr Out of Memory with Interleaf

l2768@princeton.edu (SADANAND LAKKA) (06/10/90)

I use a documentation and graphics software called Interleaf on Sun 3/60.
It has menu driven interface. While executing the print command (output to
the postscript laser printer), quite often I get an error message "
/usr/ucb/lpr : out of memory " The laser printer is accessed through the
ethernet.

Can you please explain to me why this error occurs randomly.  There are no
other users on the net.

Thanks in advance.

My email: l2768!moncol!rutgers
          l2768!moncol!petsd!princeton

zwicky@itstd.sri.com (Elizabeth Zwicky) (06/12/90)

In article <8731@brazos.Rice.edu> moncol!l2768@princeton.edu (SADANAND LAKKA) writes:

>I use a documentation and graphics software called Interleaf on Sun 3/60.
>It has menu driven interface. While executing the print command (output to
>the postscript laser printer), quite often I get an error message "
>/usr/ucb/lpr : out of memory "

You're using SunOS 4.0.3, and Interleaf is kicking a bug in the line
printer system. You have three choices:

1) Get the patch for this bug from Sun. Not having used this option
   myself, I don't know which one it is, but I have been told that there is
   one.

2) Install the 3.5 versions of lpd and lpr.

3) Upgrade to 4.1, where the problem has been fixed.

(I suppose it would be undue provocation to add my favorite option, 4)
Stop using Interleaf.)

	Elizabeth Zwicky

pa1@uunet.uu.net (06/14/90)

In article <8731@brazos.Rice.edu> moncol!l2768@princeton.edu (SADANAND LAKKA) writes:

>I use a documentation and graphics software called Interleaf on Sun 3/60.
>It has menu driven interface. While executing the print command (output to
>the postscript laser printer), quite often I get an error message "
>/usr/ucb/lpr : out of memory " The laser printer is accessed through the
>ethernet.

The above problem is caused by your workstation running out of memory.
Interleaf requires a minimum of 25MB of swap space to avoid this problem.
This may be related to the PostScript generation code. When I created a
document in Interleaf using graphics and imported raster images, the
postscript file generated was almost 3MB for one page and took the Apple
LaserWriter II 18 minutes to process. The same page in FrameMaker took up
about 400k and less than 5 minutes to print.

  +-+   Pat Alvarado                | Ph:   (213) 524-6104
  |_|   Product Development         | FAX:  (213) 524-0012
   v    Teradata Corporation        | tdat!pa1@suntzu.sun.com
 /\ /\  100 N. Sepulveda Blvd.      | uunet!usenix.org!suntzu!tdat!pa1
/_/ \_\ El Segundo, Calif. 90245    | pa1@tdat.teradata.com

montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) (06/15/90)

| From: tdatirv!pa1@uunet.uu.net
|
| When I created a document in Interleaf using graphics and imported raster
| images, the postscript file generated was almost 3MB for one page and
| took the Apple LaserWriter II 18 minutes to process. The same page in
| FrameMaker took up about 400k and less than 5 minutes to print.

I second this observation. It goes for non-raster stuff as well, like
relatively simple line drawings and slides for talks (large fonts, small
amount of text).  Interleaf-generated PostScript files are huge.  For one,
I don't think Interleaf uses the built-in LaserWriter fonts, so they
download everything.  That's an immediate disaster. Is somebody from
Interleaf listening? Is there any plan to fix this bug any time soon? A
Mac Plus using Microsoft Works printing to a LaserWriter Plus prints
faster than my SPARCstation using Interleaf printing to a LaserWriter
IINTX.

Skip (montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com)