[comp.sys.sun] Ksh in cmdtool

rvk@twitch.att.com (Robert V Kline) (06/14/90)

Using the Korn shell in a shelltool window allows access to previous
command lines by first striking the escape key, and then using vi commands
to locate and editing the command line.

When I try the same thing in a cmdtool window, striking the escape key
does not get me into an editing mode; some kind of representation of the
escape key is echoed instead.

Otherwise, most of the history features of the Korn shell appear to
function within a cmdtool window.  I'd like to hear from anyone what has
successfully used the Korn shell in this way.

att!twitch!rvk

rhoward%msd@gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (06/15/90)

In article <8863@brazos.Rice.edu> rvk@twitch.att.com (Robert V Kline) writes:

>Using the Korn shell in a shelltool window allows access to previous
>command lines by first striking the escape key....
>
>When I try the same thing in a cmdtool window, striking the escape key
>does not get me into an editing mode; some kind of representation of the
>escape key is echoed instead.

When you strike the Esc key using csh for file name completion you get the
same problem.  I've stopped using cmdtool completely.  (This is true in
the 4.0.x versions; how about 4.1, especially under OpenWindows)

Is there a solution to this problem?

Robert L. Howard
rhoward@msd.gatech.edu
UUCP:   ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!msd!rhoward

fail@uunet.uu.net (Dennis Fail) (06/16/90)

rvk@twitch.att.com (Robert V Kline) writes:

> [under Korn Shell]

>When I try the same thing in a cmdtool window, striking the escape key
>does not get me into an editing mode; some kind of representation of the
>escape key is echoed instead.

If you put 'set -o viraw' in your .profile, vi style command editing will
behave correctly in cmdtool.  I think there is also a compile time option
to build it into ksh,  it's documentted somewere but you have to dig for
it.  Took me a while to find it.

Hope this helps

Dennis Fail
Rockwell International