[comp.sys.sun] Moving to Unix System

smb@ulysses.att.com (06/27/90)

| From:    pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk
| Subject: Moving to Unix system
|
| 1) Is there a limit, either with device files or the kernel, on the number
|    of remote logins permitted across ethernet ?  We are thinking of using
|    TCP/IP terminal servers instead of RS232 cabling.  If so is there a work
|    around ? (this would have to be something like just making more device
|    files as we will not have a source license) We will be using vt100's,
|    pc's, etc (NOT X-terminals).

From a quick glance at the 4.0 source, you're limited to ~64 remote users.
The telnet and rlogin daemons only look for 64 ptys.  That's a piece of
bad code inherited, I believe, from Berkeley -- the right way to have done
it would be to have a subroutine that did all that, so you could fix it in
one place.  But that would have been too simple...

kevin@corp.sun.com (Kevin Sheehan {Consulting Poster Child}) (06/28/90)

In article <9333@brazos.Rice.edu> smb@ulysses.att.com writes:

>| From:    pearmana@prl.philips.co.uk
>| Subject: Moving to Unix system
>|
>| 1) Is there a limit, either with device files or the kernel, on the number
>|    of remote logins permitted across ethernet?
>
>From a quick glance at the 4.0 source, you're limited to ~64 remote users.
>The telnet and rlogin daemons only look for 64 ptys.

This limit is 256 in SunOS 4.1, as  /dev/ptyp[pqrstuvwxyzPQRST][0-f] is
the search list.  Since these are now clone devices, the only (soon to
change) limitation is the minor device number as far as the future is
concerned.

Kevin Sheehan
Sun Microsystems
kevin@sun.com