[comp.sys.sun] Gnu software

Detlev_Seidel_UNIV_OF_HANOVER@eurokom.ie (06/29/90)

We are using a SPARCstation1 for 6 month now and got hold of a huge
SUG-Tape with mostly stuff from 1987 on it, e.g. gcc 1.27 etc. We tried to
install the g++, but never succeeded since it first wanted the gcc to be
installed, and then the bison parser, and then alloca was missing and then
xmalloc etc. It was a real pain. Now we think that there are newer
versions out there in the USA anyhow and what we are interested in is
basically a tape with everything on it to install gcc and g++ on a new
SPARCstation. We tried to get a new tape from the american SUG but they
never replied to our order. We can also not get any files via unanomous
file transfer, because we are not connected to the networks correctly. So
if there is anyone who can help we would very much appreciate it.

Detlev Seidel
Institute for Production Engineering
University of Hannover
3000 Hanover 1
F.R.G

Phone: +49.511.762.4840
Fax:              .5115
E-Mail: detlev_seidel@eurokom.ie

bob@morningstar.com (Bob Sutterfield) (06/29/90)

|  From: Detlev_Seidel_UNIV_OF_HANOVER@eurokom.ie
|  Date: 28 Jun 90 21:05:26 GMT
|
|   ...a huge SUG-Tape with mostly stuff from 1987 on it, e.g. gcc 1.27
|   etc... [had problems] ...

Eeek!  Ancient Babylonian software!  It's not surprising that it won't
work on your sleek, modern SparcStation.  If you can't do anonymous FTP to
prep.ai.mit.edu, and you don't want to make the cross-Pond Trailblazer or
V.32 call to osu-cis to pick it up via anonymous UUCP, you should drop a
line to gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu requesting current tape ordering information.