[comp.sys.sun] Sun Education Classes - not for emacs users

maul@asic.nsc.com (Robert Maul) (06/28/90)

I just got the new summer/fall catalogue of Sun classes.  As usual they
say you must know vi or use textedit to take their class.  This is because
they sell some version of emacs to customers who do not know about GNU
Emacs and the fact that it is better and 100% cheaper.

When I took a Sunview class there a few years ago I brought my own copy of
emacs on a cartridge tape and installed it on the account they gave me.

I suggest that everyone taking a class at Sun who wants to use emacs do
the same.  I copied my executable from our /usr/local/bin area and when I
installed and ran it at sun, emacs could not find /usr/local/lib/emacs.

So be sure to build emacs and install it on your own account using
relative path name before you go to Sun.  That's all I had to say.  Please
do not make any replies to me directly.

rob maul@asic.nsc.com

rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) (06/29/90)

In article <9409@brazos.Rice.edu> maul@asic.nsc.com (Robert Maul) writes:
>When I took a Sunview class there a few years ago I brought my own copy of
>emacs on a cartridge tape and installed it on the account they gave me.
>
>I suggest that everyone taking a class at Sun who wants to use emacs do
>the same.

This is a real gripe I have with Sun.  We are all using GNU Emacs here
because vi is terrible, and textedit is cute but useless for serious
projects.  Plus we have added a lot of pseudo-intelligent interfacing to
various things such as RCS with elisp.  Problem is, I may be the only user
here who would know how to set up emacs on another machine.  So if some of
our users want to take classes (and they do) then either I have to go
along to set up emacs or they have to learn another editor which is
useless at work.

I wish Sun would cut the marketing hype about how "open" they are and
start listening to real customers.  The Fortran 1.3 fiasco is a good
example of how image comes before substance.

Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
rfinch@water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch
Any opinions expressed are my own; they do not represent the DWR

mike_s@ebay.sun.com (Mike { Whats all this then? } Sullivan) (07/01/90)

In <9409@brazos.Rice.edu> maul@asic.nsc.com (Robert Maul) writes:

>I just got the new summer/fall catalogue of Sun classes.  As usual they
>say you must know vi or use textedit to take their class.  This is because
>they sell some version of emacs to customers who do not know about GNU
>Emacs and the fact that it is better and 100% cheaper.

Let's not get into any religious wars here! :-)

Anyway, Gnu Emacs 18.55 has been installed on our lab network in
/usr/local for quite some time now (at least a year, but definitely not
when you took the SunView class). This is the network used for the
programming classes, I really doubt that you'd find it in the Sys-Admin
classes (and definitely not in the Users or Productivity Skills classes).

However, since we are upgrading to 4.1 this week, I don't know if it will
be kept around. Also, since I don't handle the administration duties any
more, I again don't know if it will stay.

And, of course, I can only speak of Milpitas. What the other training centers
install, I don't know.

Mike Sullivan                     Internet: msullivan@Ebay.Sun.COM
Sun Education                     UUCP:     ..!sun!yavin!msullivan
Software Course Developer         Compuserve: 75365,764
   "I'm six foot five, and I eat punks like you for breakfast!"