[comp.sys.sun] Andataco Exabyte subsystem

terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (06/10/90)

I am preparing to purchase a Exabyte subsystem from Andataco, and wondered
if any of you sun.experts had any experience with Exabyte drives from
these folks.  I am planning to put it on a SS1 with 16 MB memory running
SunOS4.1.  I would be grateful for any insight you can provide on this
combination.

Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University
Work:  terry@eece.ksu.edu, rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!terry
Play:  terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us, rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!tah386!terry

aks@iti.org (Alan Stebbens) (06/12/90)

In <8720@brazos.Rice.edu> terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:

>I am preparing to purchase a Exabyte subsystem from Andataco, and wondered
>if any of you sun.experts had any experience with Exabyte drives from
>these folks.  I am planning to put it on a SS1 with 16 MB memory running
>SunOS4.1.  I would be grateful for any insight you can provide on this
>combination.

AnDataCo has been very responsive to our needs, and have had good prices
(we get educational pricing, too).  For example, the other day, we had a
disk drive die from hyperthermia, and, of course, it was a _critical_
drive, so we ordered an emergency replacement through AnDataco with the
proviso that it be delivered as soon as possible.  We received it within
36 hours.

I wouldn't hesitate to order an EXABYTE from them, if we needed another
(we have three).  They seem to value customer satisfaction.

Connecting an EXABYTE to a SPARC should be no problem, also.  We've
connected ours to a 3/50, and a 3/260.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with AndataCo, except as a satisfied
customer.

Alan Stebbens        <aks@hub.ucsb.edu>             (805) 961-3221

zepf@trout.nosc.mil (Tom Zepf) (06/13/90)

In article <8720@brazos.Rice.edu> you write:

>I am preparing to purchase a Exabyte subsystem from Andataco, and wondered
>if any of you sun.experts had any experience with Exabyte drives from
>these folks.  I am planning to put it on a SS1 with 16 MB memory running
>SunOS4.1.  I would be grateful for any insight you can provide on this
>combination.

We have purchased two Exabyte drives from Andataco over the last year and
a half. I have one connected to a 3/60 and the other connected to a 3/260.
I am currently running SunOS 4.1, but have used the drives with SunOS
4.0.1. The original drive we bought worked fine for about a year, but
pretty much doesn't work at all now. We get write retry errors if we write
big files. Cleaning the tape drive does not seem to help. Both drives have
a hard time living on the SCSI bus with other peripherals. They seem to
hang sometimes, forcing a reboot. Overall, I would still recommend
Exabytes: their price/performance can't be beat.  I just have two so I can
hope that at least one is working at all times.  Maybe someday I'll move
to DAT if I hear it is more reliable. What I would really like is a
MagnetoOptical drive, but that costs too much! Backups here would be
impossible, or nearly so, without the Exabytes. It's definitely a
love/hate relationship.

Please note that this is not a complaint against Andataco. They have been
extremely helpful (being a block away can't hurt I suppose...). None of
their hardware has failed, it is the Exabyte drive itself which is
somewhat unreliable. We have purchased quite a bit of equipment from them
and have been satisfied. In fact, I like their enclosures more than any we
have used yet. And they are very price competitive.

We have several Sparcstation SLCs on order, and I intend to hook one of
the Exabytes up to one of these, but I have not tried a Exabyte with a SS1
or SS1+ yet. I've heard rumors that the driver is not built into the sun4c
kernel, but I can't verify this. I suppose I'll find out soon...

Tom Zepf					Optigraphics Corporation
uunet!optigfx!zepf				9339 Carroll Park Drive
scubed!optis31!zepf				San Diego, CA 92121
						(619)292-6060

terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (06/14/90)

optigfx!optis31!zepf@trout.nosc.mil (Tom Zepf) writes:

>We have purchased two Exabyte drives from Andataco over the last year and
>a half. I have one connected to a 3/60 and the other connected to a 3/260.
>I am currently running SunOS 4.1, but have used the drives with SunOS
>4.0.1. The original drive we bought worked fine for about a year, but
>pretty much doesn't work at all now.

Is this what the rest of you Exabyte users experience?  I can't afford to
have two of these things sitting around just to keep one working, and
neither can I afford to have my primary backup device down half of the
time.  Am I crazy for even considering an Exabyte as a primary backup
method?  If I buy one, does it need to be on maintenance?

bernhold@orange.qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) (07/03/90)

In article <8842@brazos.Rice.edu> terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:

>Is this what the rest of you Exabyte users experience?  I can't afford to
>have two of these things sitting around just to keep one working, and
>neither can I afford to have my primary backup device down half of the
>time.  Am I crazy for even considering an Exabyte as a primary backup
>method?  If I buy one, does it need to be on maintenance?

We just had out Exabyte fail for the first time in two years of routine
use (nightly backups).  We shipped it off to Exabyte & they had it back to
us in 8 days.  They wanted an open P.O. authorized for up to $700.  We
haven't gotten the actual bill yet.

Be sure you put the return authorization number on there in big friendly
letters -- they returned ours initially because the claimed it didn't have
one.  It did -- they just didn't see it, apparently.

David Bernholdt			bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		bernhold@ufpine.bitnet
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL  32611		904/392 6365