[comp.sys.sun] PC-Emulation on Sparc!

srvarma@zookeeper.cns.syr.edu (* Sandeep Varma *) (07/04/90)

I have come across 2 products which can emulate a PC on a Sun.

1. DOS Windows: This is a Sun software ($500 approx.) which emulates the
   80286 instruction set on your Sun. It gives you an illusion of a PC/AT.
   Thus, while in SunView, you can run DOS-Windows in one windows where you
   can run your DOS applications while other windows can run your normal
   SunView commands.

2. SunIPC (Sun Integrated PC): This is also from Sun and is a hardware
   board which fits into the VME slot on your Sun. It has a dedicated 80286
   CPU built-in and therefore, it should run as fast as your PC/AT.

One disadvantage, I know of, about SunIPC, is that you will be able to run
only 1 DOS application per IPC board, as opposed to DOS windows, which
apparently lets you run more than one DOS jobs.

Hope this is some help!

-Sandeep.
(srvarma@zookeeper.cns.syr.edu)

scott@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk (Scott McRae) (07/06/90)

In article <9614@brazos.Rice.edu>, srvarma@zookeeper.cns.syr.edu (* Sandeep Varma *) writes:
> I have come across 2 products which can emulate a PC on a Sun.
>
> 1. DOS Windows:
> 2. SunIPC (Sun Integrated PC):

One disadvantage to SunIPC is that you need a SUN with a VMEbus to plug it
into.  Expensive!!! :-)

A cheaper alternative would be to buy a product called Synergy from Puzzle
Systems Corporation. This slots into a SPARC stations 1's internal SBus
and provides (as the man says) 80386 performance at a fraction of the cost
($1995 +vat + p&p.)

Other features include support for extended memory (which DOSwindows
DOSn't), Hercules, VGA and Super VGA graphics standards and a 16K cache of
SRAM.

Currently Synergy is only integrated with Sunview: we'll have to wait
until November time for the OpenLook version.

   Scott McRae, RT 5515, MLB 2/10,             | RT55 -  The Industrial and
   BTRL, Martlesham Heath, Suffolk, UK.        | 	   Human Factors
   Tel : +44 473 646443  		       |	     Design
   email : scott@uk.co.bt.hfnet                |		Division.