[comp.sys.sun] Booting problem

amhastings@ucdavis.edu (amhastings@ucdavis.bitnet) (06/30/90)

I am having trouble getting my SUN 3/50 (a dataless machine) to boot from
its own disk.  If I try b sd() or b sd(,2), nothing happens (the local
disk is addressed as sd2).  If I try b le() -a, and get the process
started from the machine used to set up the 3/50, then tell it to boot
vmunix from the local disk (sd2) all goes well.  One possibility:  the
disk used to be a second disk on the server and then was moved, so it may
not be terminated properly.  Is this the problem? Any other suggestions ?

Alan Hastings
amhastings@ucdavis.edu

fbresz@uunet.uu.net (07/05/90)

In article <9553@brazos.Rice.edu> amhastings@ucdavis.edu (amhastings@ucdavis.bitnet) writes:

>I am having trouble getting my SUN 3/50 (a dataless machine) to boot from
>its own disk.  If I try b sd() or b sd(,2), nothing happens (the local
>disk is addressed as sd2).  If I try b le() -a, and get the process
>started from the machine used to set up the 3/50, then tell it to boot
>vmunix from the local disk (sd2) all goes well.  One possibility:  the
>disk used to be a second disk on the server and then was moved, so it may
>not be terminated properly.  Is this the problem? Any other suggestions ?

Sounds like the disk is missing the infamous boot block, no problem.
Check out the installboot command: I have used it a few times.  On 4.0.3
try

cd /usr/kvm/mdec
installboot -vlt /boot bootsd /dev/rsd2a

try 'man installboot' to find out exactly what it does Note pre 4.0
systems the installboot behaves slightly differently.

fbresz@ittc.wec.com
uunet!ittc!fbresz

wwtz@ciba-geigy.ch (Wolfgang Wetz) (07/06/90)

In article <9638@brazos.Rice.edu> ittc!fbresz@uunet.uu.net writes:

>Sounds like the disk is missing the infamous boot block, no problem.
>Check out the installboot command: I have used it a few times.  On 4.0.3
>try
>
>cd /usr/kvm/mdec
>installboot -vlt /boot bootsd /dev/rsd2a
>
>try 'man installboot' to find out exactly what it does Note pre 4.0
>systems the installboot behaves slightly differently.

If you really want to install the bootblock, then do:

cd /usr/kvm/mdec
installboot -vl /boot bootsd /dev/rsd2a

(I ran into this one once myself when I was wandering why the #$%^ it did
not work ;-) )

Wolfgang Wetz, Systems Administrator
   ***  CIBA-GEIGY AG, R-1045.P.24, P.O.Box, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland  ***
E-mail: cgch!wwtz@relay.EU.net - Phone: +4161 697 54 25 - Fax: +4161 697 32 88