[comp.sys.sun] Detailed SPARC Assembly Description

brian@natinst.com (Brian H. Powell) (07/03/90)

I'm trying to learn about SPARC assembly language, and the reference
manual which comes with SunOS 4.x just doesn't do it.  That manual assumes
you know what instructions do and why they do that.  There are some rather
peculiar instructions (to me anyway) that I can only conjecture about why
they are there.  I'd really like some manual which discusses the
instruction set in detail.  Does such a thing exist?

Brian H. Powell, M/S 56-14			National Instruments Corp.
	brian@natinst.com			6504 Bridge Point Parkway
	uunet!cs.utexas.edu!natinst!brian	Austin, Texas 78730-5039
	AppleLink:NATINST			(512) 338-9119

alen@trout.nosc.mil (07/08/90)

In article <9611@brazos.Rice.edu> brian@natinst.com (Brian H. Powell) writes:
>I'm trying to learn about SPARC assembly language, and the reference
>manual which comes with SunOS 4.x just doesn't do it.  That manual assumes
>you know what instructions do and why they do that.  There are some rather
>peculiar instructions (to me anyway) that I can only conjecture about why
>they are there.  I'd really like some manual which discusses the
>instruction set in detail.  Does such a thing exist?

Phone Cypress Semiconductor @ 800-952-6300 ask for their BiCMOS/CMOS DATA
BOOK, they'll send it free if you answer a few marketing questions.  The
book contains lots of goodies, including the SPARC (CY7C600) instruction
set, register specs, timing and related info (chapter 7).

    Alen the Lisa Slayer (trying to turn a SPARC into a flame)
    alen%shappy.uucp@crash.cts.com (a mac+ uucp host - what a concept!!)
    alen@crash.cts.com