[comp.sys.sun] Whither des

tar@hilbert.math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (07/05/90)

I'm running SunOS 4.1 with the sun4, sun4c, and sun3x releases.  I can't
seem to find the des(1) and crypt(1) commands (or even their manual pages,
for that matter).  Looks like it didn't get installed, eh?  However, when
I did the installation I asked for everything except the UUCP and Versatec
packages.

Are the crypt and des commands now unbundled in 4.1?  Are they hidden
somewhere non-obvious?  Where can I get my hands on them?  I have at least
one user who wants to encrypt his files.

Please email any replies.  I'll post a summary if asked.

Thanks in advance,
Tim Ramsey (tar@hilbert.math.ksu.edu)
Dept. of Mathematics, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506
Phone: (913) 532-6750 (voice) 2-7004 (FAX)
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

devil@TECHUNIX.BITNET (Gil Tene) (07/08/90)

In article <9703@brazos.Rice.edu> tar@hilbert.math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes:

>I'm running SunOS 4.1 with the sun4, sun4c, and sun3x releases.  I can't
>seem to find the des(1) and crypt(1) commands (or even their manual pages,
>for that matter).  Looks like it didn't get installed, eh?  However, when
>I did the installation I asked for everything except the UUCP and Versatec
>packages.

Hey, this sounds good for the non-US sun users.  SunOS 4.0 EXPORT, the
SunOS whcih could be exported from the US had a few differences in it. One
of the big ones were no de and crypt routines in libc.a.  I have run into
this "bug" and had to create my own "empty" routines when doing ld -A on
some stuff with sunview.  Sunview looks for these routines, altough it
doesn't need them (sometimes, anyway).

Does this make SunOS 4.1 == SunOS 4.1 EXPORT, i.e. no special export lic.
needed, and identical OS in the US and out of it?

Gil Tene
devil@techunix.technion.ac.il

guy@uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) (07/15/90)

>Does this make SunOS 4.1 == SunOS 4.1 EXPORT, i.e. no special export lic.
>needed, and identical OS in the US and out of it?

Well, sort of.  4.1 is supplied in export form; there's an add-on tape for
domestic customers that includes all that top-secret high-technology
state-of-the-art encryption stuff that you furriners can't get.  (Sigh,
maybe someday somebody'll convince the US government that you don't need
to impose these stupid restrictions on the encryption stuff....) I don't
know whether the encryption tape comes standard on domestic deliveries, or
if you have to order it separately.