[comp.sys.sun] Fortran 1.3 -- is it being fixed?

dbd@theory.bchs.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (07/08/90)

Has anyone heard officially about Fortran 1.3 patches or a new release?
Fortran 1.2 doesn't run under 4.1, and 1.3 doesn't run under SOS 4.0.3.
There are problems with some library routines in each case, and I sort of
remember a floating point problem too, but I don't recall which OS &
Fortran release were involved.

dan davison

mfisher@msd.gatech.edu (Mark D. Fisher) (07/13/90)

In article <9790@brazos.Rice.edu> dbd@theory.bchs.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:

>Has anyone heard officially about Fortran 1.3 patches or a new release?
>Fortran 1.2 doesn't run under 4.1, and 1.3 doesn't run under SOS 4.0.3.
>There are problems with some library routines in each case, and I sort of
>remember a floating point problem too, but I don't recall which OS &
>Fortran release were involved.

I have a FAX of a note alledgedly sent by someone at sun to someone at our
computer center that appears to be a fairly official list of bugs.  (But I
cant guarentee it)

bugid's:

1039296 Direct access write truncates file
1038215 I/O using implied do-loops transfer extra elements
1036302 File partition full return status

Appearently these will be fixed in 1.3.1 to be released mid-July.  Until
then the memo suggests using 1.2 . . .However: 1.2 does not perform
formatted writes corectly on 4.1 (OS) so the note suggests that 4.1 (OS)
users who wish to use Fortran 1.2 do the following: get the file
func_decim.o from libc on any 4.0.3 system ar x /usr/lib/libc.a
func_decim.o and then to compile any fortran program: f77 *.f func_decim.o

Hope this info helps,

Mark D. Fisher                           mfisher@msd.gatech.edu
1847 Claremont St, NW                    gt6392b@hydra.gatech.edu
Atlanta, Georgia 30318                   404 352 1452

dbd@theory.bchs.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (07/15/90)

In comp.sys.sun (Sun-spots) you write:

|>Has anyone heard officially about Fortran 1.3 patches or a new release?
|
|Ask your sales rep.  He should have the necessary info.
|
|	Henk  Langeveld

My salescritter didn't know anything about it.  That's why I asked the
net.  Indications are that there is a new release Real Soon Now but I
don't know if it will be part of sw maint. or whether one will have to buy
it again.  Grrrrr.

Dan Davison

bob@kahala.soest.hawaii.edu (Bob Cunningham) (07/19/90)

We have Sun Fortran version 1.3.1, and now have problems with binary i/o.
I'm not sure whether---possibly while fixing bugs 1039296 and
1038215---version 1.3.1 simply introduced some new bugs, or whether we're
bumping into some sort of backwards incompatibility with binary files.

Would appreciate feedback from other sites that have recently installed
1.3.1 whether or not they've encountered any binary i/o problems.

Bob Cunningham (bob@soest.hawaii.edu)