[comp.sys.sun] Summary of thin-ethernet tranceiver recommendations

tim@sybase.com (Tim Wood) (08/01/90)

Here is the promised summary of thin-coax Ethernet transceiver
recommendations.  It is short and simple.  Cabletron seems to be the unit
of choice, they are obtainable for ~$150.  Many thanks to those who
responded:

We have, and like, the MicroBat from Eakins Open Systems.  Call them at
(800)776-5665 or (415)969-5109.

We have used mostly cabletron transceivers, ST-500 and TMS3. The first
comes with a head that can be replaced for thickwire, and is about $25
more than the second, which is smaller and has fewer leds. I have about
two dozen and have never had a problem with them.

X-From jimc@math.ucla.edu (Jim Carter)

We have 10-15 Cabletron BNC transceivers in our ceiling for 2-3 years and
we haven't had one fail yet (cross fingers).

We use Cabletron ST500 with LANview and have no complaints.

I use Cabletron ST500 transceivers. They ran less than $150.00, and are
tiny enough to fit in small places.  Cabletron (408)986-0566

terry@iti.org (Terry Hull) (08/02/90)

tim@sybase.com (Tim Wood) writes:

>Here is the promised summary of thin-coax Ethernet transceiver
>recommendations.  It is short and simple.  Cabletron seems to be the unit
>of choice, they are obtainable for ~$150.  Many thanks to those who
>responded:

>We have, and like, the MicroBat from Eakins Open Systems.  Call them at
>(800)776-5665 or (415)969-5109.

The thing that was not mentioned about the MicroBat is no transceiver
cable is required.  It plugs straight into the AUI port on Suns.  It is
also very small, and therefore causes no interference with the other
connectors on the back of the computer.  We have, and like, the Cabletron
transceivers, but they all require a transceiver cable.  which obviously
adds to the $150 cost of the transceiver.  BTW: Educaitonal price on the
MicroBat in quantity 1 is $145.  Normal quantity 1 pricing is $195.

Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University
Work:  terry@eece.ksu.edu, rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!terry
Play:  terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us, rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!tah386!terry

ehrlich@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Dan &) (08/04/90)

Regarding the Microbat:

One other thing you need to be aware of.  It seems that some Sun ethernet
interfaces may not have 'pulse isolation transformers'.  (I am not sure
what they do, but the hardware tech says there important for noise
control. :-) Some flavors of MicroBAT don't hve these either.  This
combination results in a fairly steady stream of 'ieX: No carrier'
messages on the console.  As there not appear to be model numbers on the
different flavor MicroBATs it is not clear how one orders them from
Eakins.

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176