[comp.sys.sun] Help doing automount?

baur@venice.sedd.trw.com (Steven L. Baur) (08/06/90)

I am in the process of setting up the SunOS 4.x automount program and have
run into some problems.  I have no problem starting the program by hand as
"# automount /net -hosts".  But this isn't what I want.  I have a network
with user login disks distributed, so I want to be able to setup an
account /usr/users/someone  and specify that the someone directory really
comes from host:/path/someone (where host is where that disk resides).  I
haven't been able to get automount to use the -f flag at all (it just
exits).

Would somebody please send me an auto.master file that works?.  (And say
what it does).  I'd like info concerning both 4.0.3 and 4.1, but will take
what I can get.  Thanks in advance.

steve	baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM

zjat02@uunet.uu.net (Jon A. Tankersley) (08/11/90)

In article <1990Aug7.003518.2059@rice.edu> baur@venice.sedd.trw.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:

>Would somebody please send me an auto.master file that works?.  (And say
>what it does).  I'd like info concerning both 4.0.3 and 4.1, but will take
>what I can get.  Thanks in advance.
>
>steve	baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM

Here is what I have been able to kludge together with Sun's automount:
The control files are the same for 4.0.x and 4.1, but the invocation is
different.  In 4.1 /etc/rc.local is acting from /etc.  Hence the setup
in my auto.master.  In 4.0.3 it doesn't do this, hence add
(cd /etc; automount -f .....; ) & echo -n ' automount' >/dev/console

auto.master:
/home   auto.home       rw,intr,bg,hard
/-      auto.direct     rw,intr,bg,hard
/net    -hosts          rw,intr,bg,hard
/data   auto.data       rw,intr,bg,hard

auto.home:
hostb	&:/export/home/&
hosta	&:/export/home/&
hostc	&:/export/home/&
hostd	&:/export/home/&
*       &:/home/&

auto.direct:
/dist   hostb:&
/explprod       hosta:/dist/sun4/&
/usr/ingres     hosta:&

auto.data:
hosta \
	/data1		hosta:/data/apctrc/data1 \
	/data2		hosta:/data/apctrc/data2
hostd \
	/data1		hostd:/export/data/data1 \
	/data2		hostd:/export/data/data2

I haven't been able in 4.1 or 4.2 to get NIS/YP auto.master to be obeyed at
all.  But with the auto.master above all NIS clients can pick up the
auto.home,direct,-hosts, and data from NIS maps if automount is started
from /etc with automount -m -f /etc/auto.master.
Why /etc/auto.master is required is beyond me.

-tank-
--
-tank-
#include <std/disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */