[comp.sys.sun] SPARC Station SLC

purtill@bourbaki.mit.edu (Mark Purtill) (05/29/90)

I have a bunch of questions about the Sparcstation SLC.  If anyone out
there can answer them or point me towards answers, I'd appreciate it.
Reply by email, I'll summarize to the net.

1. Can the SLC be used as a standalone machine or does it need something
else as a disk server?  (If the answer to this is that it can't stand
alone, the remaining questions are moot).  I realize it comes diskless,
but I'm assuming that disks can be added to the SCSI port.

2. Will Sun sell one to an ordinary mortal?  If not, are there Sun dealers
out there who would?

3. Does it come with SunOS?  If so, how is it supplied?  How are new
versions of the updgrade handled?  If there's anyone out there who uses a
stand-alone Sun of any type, do you get useful support from Sun, or do
they only care about large-network customers?

4. Someone mentioned a CD-ROM drive available, along with a CD-ROM
containing SunOS.  Can this be mounted as a file system, and if so would
that save disk space?

5. What's available in the way of cheap backup devices, e.g., tape drives
or even floppies?

6. How much do the SIMMs that it takes go for?  I gather these are 4
megabytes with parity.

Mark Purtill
^.-.^ purtill@math.mit.edu (if that fails, try: purtill@athena.mit.edu)
((")) \@_: Dept. of Math., MIT 2-229, Cambridge, MA 02139; (617)623-6238

lapyun@uunet.uu.net (06/01/90)

The Sun 4/20 does have the capability to hook to external hard disk.  We
have a SLC with 2 external 104M hard disk, 1 external 327M disk, and a
150M tape drive.

I heard Sun has a package that bundles the SLC with 104M external disk,
150M tape drive and a CD-ROM (plus OpenWindow, developer GUIDE etc) for a
low low price if (there is always a catch) you are in the catalyst
program.  Check with your Sun sales people

jaw@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Jim Wildman) (06/02/90)

> 3.  ..................If there's anyone out there who uses a
> stand-alone Sun of any type, do you get useful support from Sun, or do
> they only care about large-network customers?

We have a standalone 3/160 that we bought new in 1985.  We have always
paid the hardware maintenance (24 hour swap service, call during regular
business hours) and the software hotline.  While the maintenance seems
high, it has probably more than paid for itself.  We had 3 or 4 bad
monitors in a row, and just recently had to replace our Eagle and XY451.
After running continuously for 5 years, I can't complain about the disk
finally quitting.  The engineers that I've dealt with were well trained
and very knowledgable about the product.  If the hardware failed early in
the day, and we figured out what it was by 3PM or so in the afternoon,
then we've always had the replacement the next morning.  We get all of the
software upgrades in good shape.  My copy of 4.1 showed up before there
was even much discussion on the net about it.  We're not doing major
software developement, so I can't answer about Sun's responsiveness about
bugs and fixes.  I did find and report a bug in one version of Transcript,
that the contact at Sun confirmed.  It was fixed in the last version.  So,
I'm satisfied.

purtill@bourbaki.mit.edu (Mark Purtill) (06/05/90)

A while back I asked a few questions about the Sparc SLC, and promised a
summary if there was interest.  Two people asked for the summary, so I
claim there is interest, so here it is, along with selected answers from
various people.  Thanks to everyone who responded.

^me> 1. Can the SLC be used as a standalone machine or does it need
^me> something else as a disk server?  (If the answer to this is that it
^me> can't stand alone, the remaining questions are moot).  I realize it
^me> comes diskless, but I'm assuming that disks can be added to the SCSI
^me> port.

From: khb@Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman - SPD Advanced Languages)

From: John.Chadwick@West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)

From: Steve Simmons <scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us>
| Yes, I have seen it running as such.

^me> 2. Will Sun sell one to an ordinary mortal?  If not, are there Sun
^me> dealers out there who would?

From: John.Chadwick@West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)

From: roberto@bondi.phyast.pitt.edu (Roberto Gomez)

From: Mike Liveright @ VERITY <mliverig@verity.com>

From: pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham)
| Yes, but you might have some problem.  Eakins and ERI both sell Suns.

^me> 3. Does it come with SunOS?  If so, how is it supplied?  How are new
^me> versions of the updgrade handled?  If there's anyone out there who
^me> uses a stand-alone Sun of any type, do you get useful support from
^me> Sun, or do they only care about large-network customers?

   Updates and support are available if you pay for them.

From: Larry.Wake@West.Sun.COM (Larry Wake - SE Sun SFValley - 818-905-0200)

From: John.Chadwick@West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)

From: Steve Simmons <scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us>

From: Mike Liveright @ VERITY <mliverig@verity.com>

From: pbg@cs.brown.edu (Peter Galvin)

From: steve@umiacs.UMD.EDU (Steve D. Miller)
| I don't know whether the 104MB Desktop Storage Modules come preloaded
| with SunOS.  If not, and probably even if it does (since the preloaded
| system is pretty basic), you'll need a distribution tape or CD.  I've
| heard some real horror stories with some individuals who've bought Suns
| and then tried to buy software having trouble (like a year's worth of
| trouble!) getting Sun to ship to them.  That could be a purely local
| problem.

^me> 4. Someone mentioned a CD-ROM drive available, along with a CD-ROM
^me> containing SunOS.  Can this be mounted as a file system, and if so
^me> would that save disk space?

  SunOS CD-Rom) as a /usr disk or not (some say yes, some say no).

From: John.Chadwick@West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)

From: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

From: Mike Liveright @ VERITY <mliverig@verity.com>

From: pbg@cs.brown.edu (Peter Galvin)

From: pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham)

From: steve@umiacs.UMD.EDU (Steve D. Miller)
| Sun sells a CDROM for $995 list, and it works with the SLC.  If you buy
| before sometime in August, they throw in a 4.1 distribution CD.  It is a
| filesystem -- albeit a High Sierra filesystem --, but while you can mount
| it, and you can even boot it, you can't run off it (i.e., use it as /usr)
| indefinitely.

^me> 5. What's available in the way of cheap backup devices, e.g., tape
^me> drives or even floppies?

  not.

From: John.Chadwick@West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)

From: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

From: Steve Simmons <scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us>

From: pbg@cs.brown.edu (Peter Galvin)

From: pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham)
| Either, but not from Sun.

^me> 6. How much do the SIMMs that it takes go for?  I gather these are 4
^me> megabytes with parity.

  where they list at $1450/4Megs.  Apparently you can get them for
  substantial discounts, tho.

From: John.Chadwick@West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)

From: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

From: roberto@bondi.phyast.pitt.edu (Roberto Gomez)

From: pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham)

From: steve@umiacs.UMD.EDU (Steve D. Miller)
| I don't remember what the SIMMs go for, but they're nonstandard SIMMs from
| what we heard at our meeting.  I don't think they're yet available from
| third-party folks, though I doubt they'll take long to reverse-engineer...

Other comments:

From: Mike Liveright @ VERITY <mliverig@verity.com>
| p.s. I think that many of the questions can be answered by phoning SUN
| directly. It will also give you a chance to see if you feel that
| they will treat you as a person...

Someone else:
| You might be able to qualify for a developer program... if you cobble
| up a suitable story (something about building a sw product). If so,
| you can get a good deal on a whole hw/sw package from Sun. Of course,
| I never said any of this (so remove my name before reposting!).

Thanks again to all who responded.  I hope none of you feel slighted by
what I chose not to quote from your articles!

^me> Mark Purtill
^me> ^.-.^ purtill@math.mit.edu (if that fails, try: purtill@athena.mit.edu)
^me> ((")) \@_: Dept. of Math., MIT 2-229, Cambridge, MA 02139; (617)623-6238

eberbach@uunet.uu.net (Eugene Eberbach) (09/21/90)

I have SPARC station SLC with 8 MB RAM, 327 MB SCSI hard disk, and 150 MB
tape catridge, running under UNIX  SunOS 4.1. I would like to have a
stand-alone configuration with laser printer (the only printer that Sun
officially supports is the Sun LaserWriter), LaTeX, psroff, FrameMaker,
connected via modem (Sun supports modems that are compatible with Hayes
modems, such as the Hayes Smartmodem 2400TM)to Sun-4 file server and other
Ethernet stations.  I use actually very bad psroff without macros mm, pic,
previewer; and LaTeX (better than psroff, although also from public
domain). Unfortunately, dvipage previewer from LaTeX, which worked on Sun3
and Sun4, does not work on SPARC Station SLC (bus error -
incompatibilities of SPARCstation SLC and Sun4?). Therefore I would like
to have a new, working and relatively complete LaTeX and psroff for SPARC
SLC.

I look for the prices and the addresses of organizations where I can buy
for reasonable prices:

1. modem
2. non-expensive laser printer to print PostScript files
3. LaTeX with previewer
4. psroff with macros mm, preprocessors pic, tbl,eqn and having a previewer
   for SPARC SLC
5. FrameMaker

Any suggestions and information would be welcome

Thanks,

Eugene Eberbach
School of Computer Science
Acadia University, Canada