[comp.sys.sun] SCSI disk and installboot problems...

jto@ousrvr.oulu.fi (Jarkko Oikarinen) (07/20/90)

I recently tried to install a MiniScribe 9380S disk to a standalone
Sun-3/50. I didn't have a portable tape drive so I borrowed a working disk
and connected both disks to Sun via SCSI.

Formatting and partitioning the (new) disk succeeded after some minor
problems with /etc/format.dat. But making the disk bootable using
installboot seemed to be impossible; it always flamed back with a message
'not a superblock'. Why is this ?

The command I used was something like:
'installboot /mnt/boot bootsd /dev/sd4a'
(the root partition of the new disk was mounted to /mnt).

I finally got around the problem by simply dd:ing the root partition from
another disk, but would like to know the reason for installboot's
behaviour.

Thanx in advance.

--Jarkko

richard@cs.ua.oz.au (07/23/90)

In article <10110@brazos.Rice.edu>, jto@ousrvr.oulu.fi (Jarkko
Oikarinen) writes:

|>But making the new disk bootable using
|>installboot seemed to be impossible; it always flamed back with a message
|>'not a superblock'. Why is this ?
|>
|>The command I used was something like:
|>'installboot /mnt/boot bootsd /dev/sd4a'
|>(the root partition of the new disk was mounted to /mnt).

I've had similar of the same problem, I found 2 things that I was doing
wrong..

a) Like you, I used; '/dev/sd?a', where it should be the RAW device, ie:
   /dev/rsd?a
b) Use ALL the options to 'installboot' to see just how far it gets (ie:
   installboot -vlt ..).

Sometimes that helps get to the problem...

Hope that is of some help...

Richard Siggs
ACSnet: richard@cs.ua.oz.au

moran@warbucks.ai.sri.com (Doug Moran) (07/27/90)

jto@ousrvr.oulu.fi writes

 > Formatting and partitioning the (new) disk succeeded after some minor
 > problems with /etc/format.dat. But making the disk bootable using
 > installboot seemed to be impossible; it always flamed back with a message
 > 'not a superblock'. Why is this ?

The problem is that installboot fails in certain circumstances when the
label was not visible when the workstation was last booted (either because
the disk was off-line or because it was not yet labeled).

-- Doug Moran

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (10/08/90)

In article <10169@brazos.Rice.edu> richard@cs.ua.oz.au writes:

>In article <10110@brazos.Rice.edu>, jto@ousrvr.oulu.fi (Jarkko
>Oikarinen) writes:
>|>
>|>But making the new disk bootable using
>|>installboot seemed to be impossible; it always flamed back with a message
>|>'not a superblock'. Why is this ?
>|>
>|>The command I used was something like:
>|>'installboot /mnt/boot bootsd /dev/sd4a'
>|>(the root partition of the new disk was mounted to /mnt).

I have had this occur sometimes when the root partition is not mounted as
root.  (eg /mnt). I don't really know why, but one way around it is to
boot off another device initially (tape or NFS) using the -a option (b
-sa), then when it asks the question for root and swap, give the local
disk (sd0a/sd0b). Once booted, then installboot works fine (installboot
-lv /boot bootsd /dev/rsd0a).

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254