[comp.sys.sun] How do SCSI drives in the 3/160 tower communicate?

AKONSTAM@TRINITY.BITNET (AARON KONSTAM) (09/13/90)

I have a question about disk connections to theSCSI bus in a 3/160, and I
assume other Suns with towers. Our 3/160 has two Micropolis 1355 internal
disks in its tower together with an Emulex controller to control them. We
also have a WREN VI drive in a shoebox connected directly to the SCSI
board in the tower with a ribbon cable.

According to the block diagrams that I have seen for the 3/160 the SCSI
board should be connected to the VME bus (and it is through three edge
connectors) and the Emulex controller in the tower should be connected
between the SCSI board and the disk drives. I can find no conections on
the SCSI bus except the edge connectors to the VME bus and the ribbon
cable to the shoebox.

How are the the Micropolis 1355 which are supposed to be SCSI disk drives
getting control signals from the SCSI bus? I will have to admit the
machine works with out my understanding this but if someone could clear up
this mystery I would appreciate it.

AARON KONSTAM
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78212
(512)-736-7484
AKONSTAM@TRINITY.BITNET

cjp%megatek.UUCP@ucsd.edu (Christopher J. Pikus) (10/08/90)

From article <1990Sep12.175832.11438@rice.edu>, by AKONSTAM@TRINITY.BITNET (AARON KONSTAM):
> I have a question about disk connections to theSCSI bus in a 3/160, and I
> assume other Suns with towers. Our 3/160 has two Micropolis 1355 internal
> disks in its tower together with an Emulex controller to control them. We
> also have a WREN VI drive in a shoebox connected directly to the SCSI
> board in the tower with a ribbon cable.
>
> According to the block diagrams that I have seen for the 3/160 the SCSI
> board should be connected to the VME bus (and it is through three edge
> connectors) and the Emulex controller in the tower should be connected
> between the SCSI board and the disk drives. I can find no conections on
> the SCSI bus except the edge connectors to the VME bus and the ribbon
> cable to the shoebox.
>
> How are the the Micropolis 1355 which are supposed to be SCSI disk drives
> getting control signals from the SCSI bus? I will have to admit the
> machine works with out my understanding this but if someone could clear up
> this mystery I would appreciate it.

This is a very common question asked in this group. (perhaps someone
should collect all these answers and post them monthly. :-)

The SCSI cable connection to the "VME bus" is not really directly to the
bus. On slot 7 of the sun motherboard, the "P2" connector on the back has
the extended pins for a connector. In the VME spec, the outer 2 rows of
the P2 conector is left for OEM defined functions. On the Sun they are
left unconnected on slots 7, 8, and 9.

If you look in your 3/160 card cage, you will see a card in slot 7. THis
is the SCSI controller. It outputs its SCSI control signals on the outer 2
rows of the P2 connector which go to the Emulex ESDI bridge controller
(and the external shoebos). To prove this hypothesis, move the SCSI
controller from slot 7 to another slot and watch it not work. :-)

Be Seeing You ...
Christopher J. Pikus,               Megatek Corp.
INTERNET:     cjp@megatek.uucp      San Diego, CA
UUCP:         ...!uunet!megatek!cjp

jms@tardis.tymnet.com (Joe Smith) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Sep12.175832.11438@rice.edu> AKONSTAM@TRINITY.BITNET (AARON KONSTAM) writes:
> Our 3/160 has two Micropolis 1355 internal
>disks in its tower together with an Emulex controller to control them.  We
>also have a WREN VI drive in a shoebox connected directly to the SCSI
>board in the tower with a ribbon cable.
>How are the the Micropolis 1355 which are supposed to be SCSI disk drives
>getting control signals from the SCSI bus?

They don't.  The Micropolis is an ESDI disk, not a SCSI disk.

The CPU talks to the SCSI host adapter via the VME bus.  The SCSI bus goes
from the host adapter, to the Emulex card, and to the embedded SCSI
controller in the WREN.  The Emulex MD21 disk controller translates the
SCSI commands the ESDI commands that the Micropolis disks understand.

The MD21 reports to the SCSI bus that it is a single SCSI controller with
2 logical units.  The WREN disk has a SCSI controller bolted to the disk;
it is set up as a controller with a single logical unit.  (If you have an
Adaptec ACB-4000 controller, it allows ST-506 disk to be connected to the
SCSI bus.)

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C41    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."