[comp.sys.sun] Advice on PC-NFS, lifeline, WordPerfect, and Interleaf

oliveau@cs.ucla.edu (Greg Oliveau) (09/19/90)

Apologies to my LA friends for the cross post, but I'm trying to cover my
bases.  Anyway, I'm purchasing some Sun equipment and need some input and
advice.  Is PC-NFS worth it at $750?  What sort of benefits - REAL
BENEFITS - do I get from it?  Has anyone done anything really interesting
with it?  How about Lifeline, a PC-NFS add-on that provides for E-mail and
remote backups?  Any experience with either of these products?

I also require a word processor, like you might find on a PC.  Many of us
use WordPerfect on our PC's, so it would be nice to use the same on a Unix
workstation.  But WP only has through version 4.2 on the Suns!  There are
no graphics or anything.  On the other hand, Interleaf has an introductory
package for about $800 per station.  Has anyone had experience w/
Interleaf?  Is it a good (great?) technical publication package?  I do
know that Interleaf is WYSIWYG, while WP is just like on the PC - standard
characters (without a page previewer in v4.2!).  Any thoughts or comments
would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Greg.

frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca (10/08/90)

In article <1990Sep18.204339.9329@rice.edu> oliveau@cs.ucla.edu (Greg Oliveau) writes:

>I also require a word processor, like you might find on a PC.  Many of us
>use WordPerfect on our PC's, so it would be nice to use the same on a Unix
>workstation.  But WP only has through version 4.2 on the Suns!

Actually, the August issue of WordPerfect Magazine has an ad in the
Product Guide announcing WP 5.0 for UNIX, which I assume means SUN.  I
don't know how long it's been out, or when 5.1 will be ready.

The address and phone # are:
WordPerfect Corp.
1555 North Technology Way
Orem, UT 84057
801-225-5000

Another alternative that works well is to run WP under DOS Windows.  I
have successfully run both WP5.0 and WP5.1 (graphics, mouse, the works)
within DOS Windows.  If you know how to do it, you can even get your
dot-matrix printer to do everything it's supposed to do.  However, it was
NOT EASY to figure out how.  I will address the subject of dot-matrix
8-bit printers in a later posting, probably next week.

Two problems with WP under DOS Windows: First, the screen is small, 80char
by 24 lines, just like in DOS.  This is an intrinsic limitation of DOS
Windows itself. Second, DOS Windows doesn't run under SUN-OS 4.1, so if
you upgrade from 4.0.3, you're out of luck, at least for now.  Anybody out
there know if SUN plans to fix this problem?