[comp.sys.sun] PC-NFS, Telnet and Windows 3.0

davidg@uns-helios.UUCP (DAVID GONZALES) (09/19/90)

We have an interesting problem with our PC-NFS (Version 3.0.1) running
with Windows 3.0. What we are trying to do is run telnet in a DOS window
(using Windows 3.0 enhanced mode) while accessing the networked file
system, or doing other operations under windows. We can bring up the DOS
window but when we try to run telnet the system dumps windows and hangs
the network (on the pc side). Has anyone run into this problem before,
also are there any things I should be aware of when running PC-NFS.
Thanks.

sy13220@uunet.uu.net (Richard J. Niziak) (10/08/90)

Sun has stated that PC/NFS is not very compatibly w/ windows 3.0... But so
far the only inconsistencys are with the printing.. (Using LPT1.OS2
instead of LPT1).

karl@bbs.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Sep18.203511.8087@rice.edu> davidg@uns-helios.UUCP (DAVID GONZALES) writes:

>We have an interesting problem with our PC-NFS (Version 3.0.1) running
>with Windows 3.0. What we are trying to do is run telnet in a DOS window
>(using Windows 3.0 enhanced mode) while accessing the networked file
>system, or doing other operations under windows. We can bring up the DOS
>window but when we try to run telnet the system dumps windows and hangs
>the network (on the pc side). Has anyone run into this problem before,
>also are there any things I should be aware of when running PC-NFS.

You got farther than I did.

We can't get windows 3 to work with PC/NFS 3.0.1 at all when using it in
enhanced mode.  The symptom is that the system will hang network-wise
(which effectively hangs the machine) when you try to do any access to the
net.

Sun is aware of this.  They say the next release will fix it; when that
will be they have not as of yet said.

That, and the "phantom drive" bug (they did something REAL stupid when
they decided how to treat drives which weren't mounted) cause some major
problems for lots of people.  Maybe we all need to look at Beame and
Whiteside for our PC/NFS... B&W's isn't serialized individually, which is
also a big plus for large organizations (who don't have the time or
resources to manage 500+ individual license number / machine matches!).

Sun had better get on the ball with this stuff, because there ARE some
serious competitors out there to their products.  If they don't, they're
going to lose big in the PC-networking scheme of things, and that is
increasingly important to users and system designers.

Karl Denninger	AC Nielsen
kdenning@ksun.naitc.com
(708) 317-3285
Disclaimer:  Contents represent opinions of the author; I do not speak for
	     AC Nielsen on Usenet.