[comp.sys.sun] switching thin/thick ethernet on Sun-3/50

rvi@relay.eu.net (Rob Vijgenboom) (10/08/90)

In <1990Aug23.225108.9759@rice.edu> soleil!dipaola@rutgers.edu (Len DiPaola) writes:

>In article <1990Aug13.011115.5713@rice.edu>, matt@antioch.acns.nwu.edu (Matthew Larson) writes:
>> We have a Sun 3/50 that was running happily using thin ethernet.  Now we
>> would like to run it with thick ethernet.  We plugged in the drop cable
>> and -- nothing.  For the record, it is running SunOS 4.1.
>> Rumor has it that there is a jumper change required to effect this change.
>> Could some kind soul tell us how to do this?

>4 Mb    8 Mb    12 Mb   16 Mb   20 Mb   24 Mb   EXTXUR  HIGHRES

>  o       o       o       o       o       o       o       o
>  |                                               |
>  o       o       o       o       o       o       o       o

>(		MEMORY JUMPERS		)	(Net)	(Monitor)

>If the seventh jumper ("EXTXUR") is in place, then the machine is
>configured for Thicknet.  Otherwise, it's configured for Thinnet.  These
>jumpers are located (if you've looking at the board with the external
>connectors facing you) to the left of center about 10-12 inches back.
>They're pretty easy to spot, 'cause they're the only jumpers back there.

>Len DiPaola   Apollo Sysadmin      __    __    __      _      _    __  _
>Harris Semiconductor 201-685-6289  ||----||   //\\   || \\  || \\  || //\
>724 RT.202 Somerville, N.J.08876   _/\/\/\_  //__\\  ||==/  ||==/  || \\
>rutgers!nj.semi.harris.com!dipaola ||----|| //    \\ ||  \\ ||  \\ || _//

This is some wird Sun-3/50 you are talking about! -

Dirst of all, the original Sun-3/50s only have 4 Mb RAM and were not
expandable, so I assume  you are talking about a Sun-3/60 (which is
expandable to 24 Mb RAM and uses jumpers to select the ethernet type).

Second, the original Sun-3/50 simply has a block of 8 dip switches sitting
in between the thin and thick (drop cable) connectors.

With the dip switches all pointing to the thin ethernet connector, thin
ethernet is activated, and vice versa.

At least, that's how it worked on the Sun-3/50 I used to have.