[comp.sys.sun] Screenblank causing panic SS1

elliott@shiva.trl.oz.au (Paul Elliott) (09/16/90)

Has anybody noticed any problems with screenblank causing SS1's running
SUNOS 4.1 to panic.  This problem occurs (not every time) at boot up time
when screenblank is executed in rc.local, and has happened to several of
our SS1's and an SS1+.

The following messages are reported:

screenblank started BAD TRAP
pid 92, `screenblank': Data fault
kernel read fault at addr=0xf81a4fb4, pme=0x0
Sync Error Reg 80<INVALID>

Begin traceback .........
End traceback

panic: Data fault

When the machine is rebooted, all is ok. This problem did not occur when
running SUNOS 4.0.3.

ACSnet:paul@trlamct.trl.oz		FAX: 61 3 543 8863
ARPA:paul%trlamct.trl.oz@uunet.uu.net	PH:  61 3 541 6705
UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!trlamct.trl.oz!paul
Paul Elliott.	AI Systems		Telecom Australia Research Labs

mikulska%odin@ucsd.edu (Margaret Mikulska) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Sep16.130430.15551@rice.edu> elliott@shiva.trl.oz.au (Paul Elliott) writes:
>Has anybody noticed any problems with screenblank causing SS1's running
>SUNOS 4.1 to panic.  This problem occurs (not every time) at boot up time
>when screenblank is executed in rc.local, and has happened to several of
>our SS1's and an SS1+.
>
>When the machine is rebooted, all is ok. This problem did not occur when
>running SUNOS 4.0.3.

Indeed yes, I came across this one, with the same, if I recall correctly,
error mesages. What cured the problem for me was to specify time interval
as float, not integer. We have several Suns here with screenblanks, some
running 4.0, some 4.0.3, and a few 4.1. It seems that at least under 4.0
you could say "screenblank -d NNN" (for instance), but under 4.1 you have
to say "screenblank -d NNN.000". Weird. (Our screenblanks are also in
/etc/rc.local.) We certainly didn't have any more screenblank-related
panic since that small change.

Margaret Mikulska

UC San Diego
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
mikulska@mephisto.ucsd.edu