[comp.sys.sun] Sparc won't boot w/ serial devs attached???

david@msri.org (David Mostardi) (08/15/90)

Is it *really* true that a Sparcstation 1 won't boot if there are any
devices (say, modems) attached to the serial ports?  The techie at Sun
believes this is true.  Is there any way around this incredible problem?

David Mostardi
Systems Administrator				   david@msri.org
Mathematical Sciences Research Institute
1000 Centennial Drive, Berkeley CA 94720
(415) 643-6071

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Aug23.225050.9705@rice.edu> david@msri.org (David Mostardi) writes:
>Is it *really* true that a Sparcstation 1 won't boot if there are any
>devices (say, modems) attached to the serial ports?  The techie at Sun
>believes this is true.  Is there any way around this incredible problem?

I found this to be true but only when my Microcom modem was connected.
The problem does not occur on an identically configured SS1+.  I did not
track the problem down with a breakout box but it did not occur when
either mac+ or Jasmine-Backpack modem were connected (to the SS1).  >From
what I remember, switching from ttya to ttyb made no difference.

The SS1 would break-out to the microcode monitor with the keyboard
disabled for further input during auto-boot at the point after the "dma0
at Sbus" message was printed. (obviously a new definition of auto-boot
that we have not yet come across :-))

When I reported the problem sun-800 did each of the following (in turn)

1) deny there was a problem
2) claim there was something wrong with my modem
3) suggest I disconnect the modem during boot
4) close the service request

I was less than happy with this response but that's another (longer)
story.

--alen the Lisa Slayer (trying to turn a SPARC into a flame)
    alen%shappy.uucp@crash.cts.com (a mac+ uucp host - what a concept!!)
    alen@crash.cts.com

dav@genisco.gtc.com (David L. Markowitz) (10/08/90)

david@msri.org (David Mostardi) writes:

>Is it *really* true that a Sparcstation 1 won't boot if there are any
>devices (say, modems) attached to the serial ports?  The techie at Sun
>believes this is true.  Is there any way around this incredible problem?

It is true that serial interrupts onb ttya during boot can cause an SS1
boot to fail, but there is a fix.  Sun has a newer boot prom which patches
this bug.

	David L. Markowitz
	Genisco Technology Corporation
	dav@gtc.com

jipping@cs.hope.edu (Mike Jipping) (10/08/90)

david@msri.org (David Mostardi):
> Is it *really* true that a Sparcstation 1 won't boot if there are any
> devices (say, modems) attached to the serial ports?  The techie at Sun
> believes this is true.  Is there any way around this incredible problem?

Well...I know that incorrectly wired serial devices will "freeze" the
machine when connected.  We've done this with printers -- miswire some of
the pins and the whole machine freezes up after connecting the unit to a
serial port.

However, I believe a SS-1 will boot with correctly wired units.  Ours boot
with printers attached.

      Mike Jipping                        Internet: jipping@cs.hope.edu
      Hope College                          BITNET: JIPPING@HOPE
      Department of Computer Science         Voice: Hey!