[comp.sys.sun] Switching from thin to thick Ethernet on a Sun 3/50

Matthew Larson <matt@antioch.acns.nwu.edu> (08/09/90)

We have a Sun 3/50 that was running happily using thin ethernet.  Now we
would like to run it with thick ethernet.  We plugged in the drop cable
and -- nothing.  For the record, it is running SunOS 4.1.
Rumor has it that there is a jumper change required to effect this change.
Could some kind soul tell us how to do this?

Thanks very much,

Matt Larson                            "I believe in the fundamental
matt@ils.nwu.edu                        interconnectedness of all things"
NU Distributed Systems Services               - Dirk Gently

dipaola@rutgers.edu (Len DiPaola) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug13.011115.5713@rice.edu>, matt@antioch.acns.nwu.edu (Matthew Larson) writes:
> We have a Sun 3/50 that was running happily using thin ethernet.  Now we
> would like to run it with thick ethernet.  We plugged in the drop cable
> and -- nothing.  For the record, it is running SunOS 4.1.
> Rumor has it that there is a jumper change required to effect this change.
> Could some kind soul tell us how to do this?

4 Mb    8 Mb    12 Mb   16 Mb   20 Mb   24 Mb   EXTXUR  HIGHRES

  o       o       o       o       o       o       o       o
  |                                               |
  o       o       o       o       o       o       o       o

(		MEMORY JUMPERS		)	(Net)	(Monitor)

If the seventh jumper ("EXTXUR") is in place, then the machine is
configured for Thicknet.  Otherwise, it's configured for Thinnet.  These
jumpers are located (if you've looking at the board with the external
connectors facing you) to the left of center about 10-12 inches back.
They're pretty easy to spot, 'cause they're the only jumpers back there.

Len DiPaola   Apollo Sysadmin      __    __    __      _      _    __  _
Harris Semiconductor 201-685-6289  ||----||   //\\   || \\  || \\  || //\
724 RT.202 Somerville, N.J.08876   _/\/\/\_  //__\\  ||==/  ||==/  || \\
rutgers!nj.semi.harris.com!dipaola ||----|| //    \\ ||  \\ ||  \\ || _//

mikem@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Mike Miller) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Aug13.011115.5713@rice.edu> matt@antioch.acns.nwu.edu (Matthew Larson) writes:
>We have a Sun 3/50 that was running happily using thin ethernet.  Now we
>would like to run it with thick ethernet.  We plugged in the drop cable
>and -- nothing.  For the record, it is running SunOS 4.1.
>Rumor has it that there is a jumper change required to effect this change.

The ethernet interface is switchable between thin and thick via a dip on
the mother board.  you will need to open the cpu box (4 allen screws) and
pull the mother board.  The dip should be located near your ethernet
connectors.  It could also be located in a different area as a set of
jumpers.  I'd just call Sun if I couldnt find it, they'll tell you where.
Anyway, the dip or jumper settings are in the Hardware Installation
manuals. Or ask local Sun.

tom@viewlogic.com (Thomas Yen) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Sep12.180306.12073@rice.edu>, mikem@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Mike Miller) writes:
|> In article <1990Aug13.011115.5713@rice.edu> matt@antioch.acns.nwu.edu (Matthew Larson) writes:
|>
|> The ethernet interface is switchable between thin and thick via a dip on
|> the mother board.  you will need to open the cpu box (4 allen screws) and
|> pull the mother board.  The dip should be located near your ethernet
|> connectors.  It could also be located in a different area as a set of
|> jumpers.  I'd just call Sun if I couldnt find it, they'll tell you where.
|> Anyway, the dip or jumper settings are in the Hardware Installation
|> manuals. Or ask local Sun.

	Here I think is the correct jumper setting at J800

13-14                In                                      Thicknet
13-14                Out                                     Thinnet (Default)

jms@tardis.tymnet.com (Joe Smith) (10/08/90)

>In article <1990Aug13.011115.5713@rice.edu>, matt@antioch.acns.nwu.edu (Matthew Larson) writes:
>> We have a Sun 3/50 that was running happily using thin ethernet.  Now we
>> would like to run it with thick ethernet.  We plugged in the drop cable
>> and -- nothing.  For the record, it is running SunOS 4.1.
>> Rumor has it that there is a jumper change required to effect this change.
>> Could some kind soul tell us how to do this?

You should really try to get a copy of the "Hardware Installation Manual
for the Sun-3/50M".  (One comes as original equipment with each
workstation.) The information you need in on page 25.  If you pull the
board out of the 3/50, you will find a block of 8 dip switches in the
vicinity of the ethernet connections.  All 8 of them must be to the left
for thin ethernet (the BNC connector), all 8 of them must be to the right
for thick ethernet (the 15-pin connector).

In article <1990Aug23.225108.9759@rice.edu> soleil!dipaola@rutgers.edu
 (Len DiPaola) writes:
: 4 Mb    8 Mb    12 Mb   16 Mb   20 Mb   24 Mb   EXTXUR  HIGHRES
:
:   o       o       o       o       o       o       o       o
:   |                                               |
:   o       o       o       o       o       o       o       o
:
: (		MEMORY JUMPERS		)	(Net)	(Monitor)
:
: If the seventh jumper ("EXTXUR") is in place, then the machine is
: configured for Thicknet.  Otherwise, it's configured for Thinnet.  These
: jumpers are located (if you've looking at the board with the external
: connectors facing you) to the left of center about 10-12 inches back.
: They're pretty easy to spot, 'cause they're the only jumpers back there.

Len's information is correct for the Sun-3/60, but Matt has a Sun-3/50.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C51    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."