[comp.sys.sun] Color 4/65 <-> Mono 4/60 swap?

thomas@sun.com (Chris Thomas) (09/19/90)

A question about swapping components between a 4/60 and a 4/65...

We currently have a monochrome 4/60, and we're ordering a color 4/65 with
a GX accelerator.  What we want to do, for various reasons, is turn the
4/60 into the color system, and make the new 4/65 a monochrome one.  We'd
like to do this by swapping the frame buffer boards and monitors between
the two systems.

Is this kosher, or will this cause unspeakable nasties to happen?

fpb@uunet.uu.net (Frank P. Bresz) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Sep18.203401.7874@rice.edu> sono!thomas@sun.com (Chris Thomas) writes:
>A question about swapping components between a 4/60 and a 4/65...

>We currently have a monochrome 4/60, and we're ordering a color 4/65 with
>a GX accelerator.  What we want to do, for various reasons, is turn the
>4/60 into the color system, and make the new 4/65 a monochrome one.  We'd
>like to do this by swapping the frame buffer boards and monitors between
>the two systems.

Well I just tried the inverse I had a color 4/60 cgthree color
workstation, belonging to one of my engineers.  Later we purchased a
couple of SS-1 Mono's for secretaries to run FRAME.  Of course this was
when Sun stopped shipping SS-1's and started shipping SS-1+'s so 2
secretaries had SS-1+ and my engineers had SS-1.  I decided to give one of
them an SS-1+ plus a few SIMS to speed his life up.  Sun FE claimed that a
SS-1 cgsix wouldn't work in an SS-1+ but a cgthree should.

No Go. Any time I brought up sunview I got a panic and a backtrace.

Now for some more fun.  I figured, well at least I can give him more
memory.  Plugged in 8MB worth of 1MB SIMMS, Powered up, guess what the
machine thinks there are 32MB installed and goes berserk.  OK pull out 4MB
and see what happens.  Hey it says 12MB, good.  Oops it won't run thouugh.
Okay move the 4MB to the other 4 slots (I can't remember which is right
anyway).  Power up,  Now we have 24MB.  Total mystery.  Any thoughts.

P.S.  I would also like to know how to keep the hostid of an SS1 if I ever
do get the SS1+ to work for this guy (he uses dataviews which is a hostid
license)

P.P.S. FYI Here is a picture of an SS-1 as I tried it in the various
configurations.

	--------- Indicates an emtpy (BLANK) Simm Slot
	SSSSSSSSS Indicates a filled Slot

        ---------------------------
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +  Says 32MB (Totally Bogus)
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +           --------      +
        +           +      +      +
        +           + Disk +      +
        +           +      +      +
        ---------------------------
  		Front of SS1

        ---------------------------
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +  Says 12MB (But wont Run)
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +           --------      +
        +           +      +      +
        +           + Disk +      +
        +           +      +      +
        ---------------------------
  		Front of SS1

        ---------------------------
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +  Says 24MB (Again Totally Bogus)
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +SSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSS      +
        +           --------      +
        +           +      +      +
        +           + Disk +      +
        +           +      +      +
        ---------------------------
  		Front of SS1

        ---------------------------
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +  Says 8MB and works
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +--------- SSSSSSSSS      +
        +           --------      +
        +           +      +      +
        +           + Disk +      +
        +           +      +      +
        ---------------------------
  		Front of SS1
--

cc_gucky@uunet.uu.net (Gerhard Holzer) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Sep18.203401.7874@rice.edu> you write:
>A question about swapping components between a 4/60 and a 4/65...
>
>We currently have a monochrome 4/60, and we're ordering a color 4/65 with
>a GX accelerator.  What we want to do, for various reasons, is turn the
>4/60 into the color system, and make the new 4/65 a monochrome one.  We'd
>like to do this by swapping the frame buffer boards and monitors between
>the two systems.

We had a simmilar question, and Sun told us THIS wouldn't work !

It's possible to use a GX board of a 4/60 in a SS1 (4/65), but not the new
GX in an 'old' SS (4/60).

The newer GX should also be quicker than the older one !  I hope this
answer is exact enough for you - and I hope it's correct !