[net.unix-wizards] new Unix neophytes newsgroup

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (06/06/83)

Actually, a better (and more obvious) name for such a newsgroup
would be "net.unix".  But I think the issue should be addressed
of who would read it.  It seems like all the neophytes are currently
posting to/reading from net.unix-wizards.  Do they move?  What
about the people on the ARPANET side of the gateway?

	Mark

govern@houxf.UUCP (06/07/83)

The problem with separating "neophyte-wizards" from "real-wizards" is
that the real wizards will presumably not read "neophyte-wizards",
and neophytes with unanswered questions will therefore ask them on
net.real-wizards.

	There is a real need for an on-line consulting service, and
unix-wizards has so far contributed to this function.  If I have a
problem I can't answer, I'm not likely to submit it to
"net.people-just-as-dumb-as-myself", although I do tend to ask
USG-related questions on btl.unix and Berkeley questions on
unix-wizards.

			Bill Stewart, houxf!hoscf!bill

ptw@vaxine.UUCP (P. Tucker Withington) (06/07/83)

My original thought was that unix-neophytes would give wizards a place to wax
eloquent on their expertise and neophytes a place to commiserate over their
buffoonery.  Presumably, neophytes *could* help each other, as they are bound
to eventually figure things out, although not in the same order or time.

It appears now that the unix neophyte does not exist (at least the original
who was the cause of all this brouhaha is not).  If it is not useful to
separate the two levels of discussion, I withdraw my suggestion.

				       --Tucker (ptw@vaxine.UUCP)

heh%berkeley@csuf.UUCP (06/08/83)

I don't think the idea was to keep the neophytes from reading UNIX-WIZARDS.
That might be a good idea (I certainly don't want the whole world to
know about the Latest UUCP Security Hole), but other than setting up
some sort of `authenticated' mailing list (mail in a photocopy of your
UNIX license or some such) I can't see how it would be done.

On the other hand, some of the people here get irate if a newcomer
starts asking questions that 2 minutes of looking through the Unix
Programmer's Manual would answer.  To keep the volume of `uninteresting'
mail for such people to a minimum, I think a Unix-Apprentices setup
is a great idea.  I like `INFO-UNIX' as a name, too.  And I'd even
read it and perhaps answer it, if I came upon an otherwise uninteresting
moment in time.

		-Ed Hall
		ucbvax!trw-unix!csuf!heh

scw%ucla-locus@cepu.UUCP (07/19/83)

From:  Steve Woods <cepu!scw@ucla-locus>

RE: From: ucivax!csuf!heh@berkeley

    I don't think the idea was to keep the neophytes from reading UNIX-WIZARDS.
		    .
		    .
		    .
    On the other hand, some of the people here get irate if a newcomer
    starts asking questions that 2 minutes of looking through the Unix
    Programmer's Manual would answer.
		    .
		    .
		    .
		    -Ed Hall
		    ucbvax!trw-unix!csuf!heh

The problem is that it takes about 6-12 months of normal usage to learn
where to find every thing that you need to know in the Unix Prog Man (You
must admit that it is not the best organized manual in the world). Also
even when it is found it may not be clear (or even correct), or it may
not even be there.

jbray%bbn-unix@sri-unix.UUCP (07/19/83)

From:  James Bray <jbray@bbn-unix>

Yes, it would be nice to divert elementary questions and other (in my
opinion, of course) inappropriate submissions onto other lists. The problem
is that info-unix seems not to have caught on: I was told that I am on
that list, and unless I have been accidentally deleted, it is Very Quiet...
I have seen only a handful of messages on it. If this is the case, then it
would seem that submissions will not voluntarily divert themselves from
unix-wizards. Perhaps editing the list is the only way this could be achieved.
--Jim

jbray%bbn-unix@sri-unix.UUCP (07/20/83)