[comp.sys.sun] Bourne Shell Function positional parameter space

chris@manic.communica.oz (Chris Clarkson) (10/08/90)

Under SunOS 3.X (and most Sys V and BSD Unix I have worked on) Bourne
shell functions shared their positional paramater space with the main
shell. Under SunOS 4.X this no longer seems to be the case.  Is this true
or is some other mechanism at play ?

Chris Clarkson					 	Tel:	61 8 410 1442
chris@manic.communica.oz.au				Fax:	61 8 410 1443

chet@po.cwru.edu (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct7.223601.28031@rice.edu> chris@manic.communica.oz (Chris Clarkson) writes:
>Under SunOS 3.X (and most Sys V and BSD Unix I have worked on) Bourne
>shell functions shared their positional paramater space with the main
>shell. Under SunOS 4.X this no longer seems to be the case.  Is this true
>or is some other mechanism at play ?

This is the result of the change from an s5r2-based /bin/sh in SunOS 3.x
to an s5r3-based /bin/sh in SunOS 4.x.  The s5r3 sh no longer has a single
global space for the positional parameters.

Chet Ramey			``As I recall, Doug was keen on boxing.  But
Network Services Group		  when he learned to walk, he took up puttin'
Case Western Reserve University	  the boot in the groin.''
chet@ins.CWRU.Edu