[comp.sys.sun] SS1+ keyboards

sparks@viewlogic.com (Alan Sparks) (10/08/90)

OK, I have now been "upgraded" to a SS1+ with limited resources and a type
4 keyboard.  I hate this keyboard; what I *realy* hate is that doubled
letters don't type correctly... I hit the key twice and get one leter.

Is there something I can do to make the keyboard more responsive, like my
old type 3 on my old 4/110?  Does anyone else have this gripe?

Thanks.
Sign me "Frustrated"

Alan Sparks      voice: (508) 480-0881  Internet: asparks@viewlogic.com
VIEWlogic Systems Inc., 313 Boston Post Rd. W., Marlboro MA 01752
Disclaimer: VIEWlogic didn't say this; I might have.  Who's asking?

williams@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Williams (SYSGROUP)) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct7.214435.21240@rice.edu> sparks@viewlogic.com (Alan Sparks) writes:

>OK, I have now been "upgraded" to a SS1+ with limited resources and a type
>4 keyboard.  I hate this keyboard; what I *realy* hate is that doubled
>letters don't type correctly... I hit the key twice and get one leter.

I have made it a policy, whenever I'm at a trade show or conference, to
tell the Sun sales critters just how much I despise the type 4 keyboard.
My complaints are all centered on layout (I especially dislike the extra
key between the quotes ('/") key and the return key).  Moving the delete
key way up top was also a lose.  The only worse keyboard that I have to
deal with on a regular basis is the DEC LK-201 (and now the LK-401).  Yes,
I know this was done to conform to the ISO layout.  I don't care.

At the Washington Usenix, DEC had several alternate keyboards on display
that they were considering for use on DECstations.  All were much better
than the LK-201.  I don't know what became of that, but if DEC were to
offer a reasonable layout, THAT WOULD AFFECT MY DECISION OF WHAT
WORKSTATION TO BUY.   ARE YOU LISTENING, SUN???

Spoken: Jim Williams             Domain: williams@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Phone: +1 301 286-4405           UUCP:   uunet!mimsy!williams
USPS: NASA/GSFC, Code 633, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Motto: There is no 'd' in "kluge"!  It rhymes with "huge", not "sludge".