[comp.sys.sun] PMEG

sterling@cmcl2.nyu.edu (John Burr Sterling) (10/08/90)

Hello.  I am looking for a patch for the "PMEG problem" on sparcs.  I was
told by one of the Sun people at AAAI that such a patch exists and might
solve some painful thrashing that we are having.  However, we are not
getting any response on this from the local Sun office other than a piece
of suftware to determine whether we truly need the patch.  From the
documentation with this test program, I gather we qualify.  Has anyone out
there gotten the patch?  Did it solve your problem?  How do I get it?

Thanks,
				- John Sterling -
				sterling@cs.nyu.edu

katz@rpal.com (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct7.233321.5930@rice.edu> acf5!sterling@cmcl2.nyu.edu (John Burr Sterling) writes:

> Hello.  I am looking for a patch for the "PMEG problem" on sparcs.  I was
> told by one of the Sun people at AAAI that such a patch exists and might
> solve some painful thrashing that we are having.  However, we are not
> getting any response on this from the local Sun office other than a piece
> of suftware to determine whether we truly need the patch.  From the
> documentation with this test program, I gather we qualify.  Has anyone out
> there gotten the patch?  Did it solve your problem?  How do I get it?

I believe that you want the patch described in the following excerpt from
its README file.  If you have Sun support, you should be able to request
the patch from the support center based on its patch id.  Sun now supplies
patches both on tape and via mail.

Patch-ID# 100092-03
Date: July/27/90
SunOS release: 4.1

BugId's fixed with this patch:  1038249
Architectures for which this patch is available: sun4 sun4c sun4-PSR_A
Obsoleted by: 4.1.1

Problem Description:

The system overheads due to page map entry shuffling is excessive and with
increased memory, the system overheads increase significantly.

Morry Katz
Rockwell Science Center
administrator@rpal.com (machine administration issues)
katz@rpal.com (other)