[comp.sys.sun] Trouble Booting a Diskless 4/65 from a 4/470 running SunOS 4.1

slv@bartok.att.com (Susan L. Vogel) (10/08/90)

We've just brought up our 4/470 fileserver.  We've been unable to boot our
diskless 4/65 clients: We get the following message on the client console:

Timeout Waiting for ARP/RARP Packet

/etc/hosts, /etc/ethers are both correct.  We've tried removing and adding
the clients.  The links in /tftpboot look correct.  inetd is running, and
there's an entry for tftp in inetd.conf.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sue Vogel
AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!odyssey!slv

jms@tardis.tymnet.com (Joe Smith) (11/04/90)

In article <1990Oct8.002001.13190@rice.edu> slv@bartok.att.com (Susan L. Vogel) writes:
>We've just brought up our 4/470 fileserver.  We've been unable to boot our
>diskless 4/65 clients: We get the following message on the client console:
>Timeout Waiting for ARP/RARP Packet

The rarpd program does not work if the server does not have NIT defined.
Check that the config file for your kernel has the following:

#
# The following are for streams NIT support.  NIT is used by
# etherfind, traffic, rarpd, and ndbootd.  As a rule of thumb,
# NIT is almost always needed on a server and almost never
# needed on a diskless client.
#
pseudo-device   snit            # streams NIT
pseudo-device   pf              # packet filter
pseudo-device   nbuf            # NIT buffering module
#

I ran into the same problem the first time I brought up a non-generic kernel.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C41    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga 3000 speaks for me."