[comp.sys.sun] Should I buy a SPARCstation 330?

carnone@homxc.att.com (Christopher Arnone) (10/08/90)

I was thinking of buying a SPARCstation 330, and my questions is: Is Sun
anywhere close to introducing new SPARC systems that will make the current
offerings a poor choice right now with respect to price/performance.  My
Sun salesman tells me not to worry because Sun is very liberal about CPU
upgrades.  Any advice on this matter will be appreciated.  Please respond
via email.

zador-anthony@cs.yale.edu (Tony Zador) (11/04/90)

In article <1990Oct7.221826.25967@rice.edu> carnone@homxc.att.com (Christopher Arnone) writes:
>My
>Sun salesman tells me not to worry because Sun is very liberal about CPU
>upgrades.

In my opinion, Sun is *not* very liberal about CPU upgrades, except
perhaps from one fundamentally different chip to another (eg 68020 -->
SPARC).

We have a 4/110 we bought 2 yrs ago that is slower than an SLC, but no
upgrade is offered. Our 4/60 from last yr is slower than the 4/65 now
offered, but no upgrade offered or planned.  Sun has released a 4/470, and
presumably will soon offer a similar 4/430, but no upgrade is offered from
the 4/330.

Tony Zador