[comp.sys.sun] Remote cmdtools under OpenWindows?

dna@math.psu.edu (Douglas N. Arnold) (09/11/90)

I have recently started using OpenWindows 2.0, and am having various
troubles.  I would like to open cmdtools running on various hosts from the
root menu, but have been having trouble doing so.  Here is a stripped down
set-up that shows the problem.  I start up OpenWindows on fredholm and
give the commands "xhost +green" and "rsh green ~/testscript" where
testscript reads:

  #!/bin/sh
  OPENWINHOME=/usr/local/lib/openwin
  export OPENWINHOME
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$OPENWINHOME/lib
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  $OPENWINHOME/bin/xview/cmdtool -display fredholm:0.0

This causes a cmdtool to appear on fredholm, but no shell prompt appears
in it.  And on fredholm I get the message "ttysw-TIOCSPGRP: Interrupted
system call".

On the other hand if I rlogin to green and run ~/testscript it works fine
(a cmdtool window running csh pops up on fredholm).  Can anyone explain
this or point me to the appropriate documentation?

Douglas N. Arnold                         dna@math.psu.edu
Dept. of Mathematics, Penn State Univ.    (814) 865-0246

mikef@sarah.lerc.nasa.gov (Mike J. Fuller) (11/04/90)

In article <1990Oct7.235810.9886@rice.edu> dna@math.psu.edu (Douglas N. Arnold) writes:
>I have recently started using OpenWindows 2.0, and am having various
>troubles.  I would like to open cmdtools running on various hosts from the
>root menu, but have been having trouble doing so.  Here is a stripped down
>set-up that shows the problem.  I start up OpenWindows on fredholm and
>give the commands "xhost +green" and "rsh green ~/testscript" where
>testscript reads:
>
>  #!/bin/sh
>  OPENWINHOME=/usr/local/lib/openwin
>  export OPENWINHOME
>  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$OPENWINHOME/lib
>  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>  $OPENWINHOME/bin/xview/cmdtool -display fredholm:0.0

My guess is that you are running 4.1 of SunOS.  Make that last line:

/usr/etc/setsid -b $OPENWINHOME/bin/xview/cmdtool -display fredholm:0.0

<flame on; deep breath>

I find this bug appalling.  It is bad enough that {shell,cmd}tool doesn't
even offer a decent terminal emulation, but when it just plain doesn't
work like it is supposed to I begin to wonder if the people at Sun in the
OpenWindows development group are still running 4.0.3 or if they just
don't test their software.  I discovered this bug the very first day we
got OpenWindows 2.0!  Personally, I use the colorxterm from the X11R4
contrib software on expo.lcs.mit.edu because it is faster and fairly bug
free, it provides useful terminal emulations, and it handles the scroll
bar better.  <flame off; run for cover>

Mike J. Fuller | Internet: mikef@sarah.lerc.nasa.gov      |     "I hate     |
---------------|           mikef@zippysun.math.uakron.edu |   quotations."  |
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\| Bitnet:   r3mjf1@akronvm                 | -- R.W. Emerson |