[comp.sys.sun] Jerk of a mouse

rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) (10/08/90)

We got some Sun 4/65's in and noticed something strange.  On two of the
machines the mouse jerks when moved; the cursor looks like it is attached
to a rubber band which periodically stretches and breaks.  Strangely
enough it does this in the horizontal direction but vertical movement
seems ok.  Does anybody know what would cause this?

Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
rfinch@water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch
Any opinions expressed are my own; they do not represent the DWR

ehrlich@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct7.214304.21056@rice.edu> caldwr!rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) writes:

> We got some Sun 4/65's in and noticed something strange.  On two of the
> machines the mouse jerks when moved; the cursor looks like it is attached
> to a rubber band which periodically stretches and breaks.  Strangely
> enough it does this in the horizontal direction but vertical movement
> seems ok.  Does anybody know what would cause this?

Call Sun and ask for a new mouse.  They had a crop of bad chips sneak by
their Q&A people.  We recently installed a lab with 8 4/65s.  So far six
of the mice have failed in they way you describe.

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176

giacobbe@pilot.njin.net (Jeff Giacobbe) (11/16/90)

We recently bought 5 SLC's and a Sparcstation 1+ server.  So far, 4 out of
6 mice have died.  They don't go right away, they kind of do that 'rubber
band' thing for a week or two.  I think the problem is the (visible) LED.
I think they begin to dim and cannot track correctly from left to right
(hence the jerky rubber band motion).

My, what wonderful quality control ;-)