[comp.sys.sun] TrackBall for Sun

wross@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (William Ross) (11/02/90)

I need to put a track-ball in place of the mouse on my Sun Sparcstation
1+.  ANY help would be very appreciated.  Who sells these?  Who Might sell
them?  What is the sun mouse compatible with?  Can I make some other
trackball work?

    Thanks!
    Bill Ross   wross@cs.cmu.edu

dahl@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Michael Dahl) (11/19/90)

> I need to put a track-ball in place of the mouse on my Sun
> Sparcstation 1+.  ANY help would be very appreciated.  Who sells
> these?  Who Might sell them?  What is the sun mouse compatible
> with?  Can I make some other trackball work?

We got a trackball for our Sun from Logitech but found it was very touchy
to use.  It was difficult to hit one of the buttons without also moving
the cursor and taking you hand off the ball also caused the cursor to
move.

We gave up after a few days of frustration.

Logitech can be reached at: 800-231-7717 Outside CA
                            800-525-8885 Inside CA
                            800-283-7717 from Canada

Michael Dahl,  Cimplex Corporation
Voice: (408) 879-2800  Fax: (408) 879-9605
1500 E. Hamilton Ave. Suite 100,  Campbell Ca. 95008
dahl@netcom.uucp  - or -  {apple,claris}!netcom!dahl

dmp@epg.harris.com (Donald Patterson) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov2.002558.10779@rice.edu>, wross@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu
(William Ross) writes:
|> I need to put a track-ball in place of the mouse on my Sun Sparcstation
|> 1+.  ANY help would be very appreciated.  Who sells these?  Who Might sell
|> them?  What is the sun mouse compatible with?  Can I make some other
|> trackball work?
|>
|>     Thanks!
|>     Bill Ross   wross@cs.cmu.edu

ITAC Systems, Inc., sells a product called "Mouse-track" (a roller ball
input device). ITAC is in Garland, texas (214-494-3073). Though we have
Mouse-track's only on PCs here, ITAC says that most of there business is
on suns. The model you are after is

	M5-SUN-MD (for mini-DIN) list price is $199.

 Don Patterson                   \\\ INTERNET : dmp@epg.harris.com
 Harris Corporation               \\\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!dpatterson
 Engineering Productivity Group    \\\ CCMAIL : dpatters
 1025 W. Nasa Blvd., MS 3A/epg      \\\ VOICE : (407) 727-6058
 Melbourne, FL 32919                 \\\  FAX : (407) 727-5510

Mark_Weiser.PARC@xerox.com (11/19/90)

I have used a track ball called SunTrac, from a company called MicroSpeed.
I don't have any other info (that is all that it printed on the case,
which I have in front of me).  It plugs into the mouse socket in the Sun
keyboard, and has three buttons, and works just fine.  I used it for about
a month, but then switched back, basically prefering mice I guess.  But
since I used it for a month you can tell it was not awful.  (BTW, we don't
use the Sun mice here, but instead opto-mechanical Sun-compatible mice
from Logitech, model M-CD9-SUN-8MD.  They are great.)

-mark