[comp.sys.sun] Does the SLC serial port

freedman@euclid.math.temple.edu (Avi Freedman) (11/04/90)

Since sun sales dweeboids are notoriously unreliable, I figured that I'd
check with the net.  Are there any problems hanging a Tbit 2500 off of an
SLC?  I heard in a press release that they had strange serial ports or
something, and it is important that I can run uucp over the tbit.

	Thanks alot,
		Avi Freedman

p.s. re: my last query about the 4/1110 vs. the SLC, I've received over 60
messages about the issue!  I'd summarize, but I only got two requests.

shapiro@athos.rutgers.edu (Joel Shapiro) (11/19/90)

I cannot tell you anything directly about a Tbit, but the manual gives the
pinout of the single DB25 connector of the SLC. From memory (I cannot look
at my files while reading news on a vt320, alas) port A had the usual
things on lines 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 20, while port B had two of these
left out, and of course the signals available were on different pins. I
made a box to break the one port into two, successfully, but I doubt that
I really tested the modem lines.

devil@TECHUNIX.BITNET (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov4.030825.2169@rice.edu> freedman@euclid.math.temple.edu (Avi
Freedman) writes:

>Since sun sales dweeboids are notoriously unreliable, I figured that I'd
>check with the net.  Are there any problems hanging a Tbit 2500 off of an
>SLC?  I heard in a press release that they had strange serial ports or
>something, and it is important that I can run uucp over the tbit.

No problem for the first serial port, it is completely standard.  In fact,
I am writing this thorugh a Tbit 2500 connected to an SLC, so I guess that
proves it.

I got the pin out for the second serial port off the net, and that one
does not have DTR/DSR lines. This makes it bad for use with modems, unless
you want to do software control of hangups, and don't mind not detecting
them...

The following is a part of an old mesasge from comp.sys.sun.  I forgot who
the original proster was, But Thanks! I tested the pin-out below, and it
works for both ports.

Wire these pins straight through for the A port:

        SLC     use                     A port
        1       protective ground       1
        2       TD (transmitted data)   2
        3       RD (received data)      3
        4       RTS                     4
        5       CTS                     5
        6       DSR                     6
        7       signal ground           7
        8       DCD                     8
        20      DTR                     20
        22      RI                      22

Wire these pins to the B port:

        SLC     use                     B port
        1       protective ground       1
        7       signal ground           7
        13      secondary CTS           5
        14      secondary TD            2
        16      secondary RD            3
        19      secondary RTS           4

Note that pins 1 and 7 are common to both ports.

End included message.

| Gil Tene                      "Some days it just doesn't pay     |
| devil@techunix.technion.ac.il   to go to sleep in the morning."  |