[comp.sys.sun] Setting up a domain server

kehoe@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (10/08/90)

I'm trying to set up the DNS properly so that when my router's hooked up
(on Friday, supposedly) I'll be ready to "just turn it on", so to speak.
Right now I have the name server for the domain I'm defining
(cs.widener.edu.) set up okay. It's able to chop down all of the local
machines, as well as see cs.widener.edu as the main host (it's equal to
laverne.cs.widener.edu).  Fine, nslookup's working. Yahoo. After a few
hours I got the sendmail.cf set up reasonably ok to work with sendmail.mx,
for *sending*. I've got it so I can send to/from anywhere I want in my
domain without any problems (like sending to brendan@cs.widener.edu, as
well as saying specifically brendan@ashley.cs.widener.edu, whose mail
exchanger is laverne.cs.widener.edu).  It works. I even set up the yp
domain as .cs.widener.edu (with the dot in front).  But when I try to
connect to port 25 with sendmail.mx set up as a daemon, it connects then
freezes. I've heard mention that I have to modify the libc.so.1.5 so that
it uses the domain name service to resolve host names rather than using
the yp (er..NIS) stuff. Umm...HOW? :) I did see the stuff in shlib.etc
about adding to the shared library, but the stuff in libresolv.a didn't
have one called 'gethostname.o', and libns.a looked like it was all by
itself with tons of crap that wouldn't go in there. Was I near the
solution at all?  I tried doing the make of the YP host maps with the -b
option to makedbm, but it froze -- I assume this is a result of not having
the resolving libraries up yet.  Anybody that'd be willing to do a lil
writeup of how to set up the libraries would be greatly appreciated. Also
anything you care to throw in about setting up DNS properly (am I wrong in
thinking I'll just add the two servers for the widener.edu domain when
router's connected? I do have the HOSTS.TXT stuff set up properly [I
believe]), getting mail to work, etc etc. would be greatly appreciated. I
read TFM until my eyes fell out, and haven't found anything about this
(nothing in the sendmail section about resolving hosts, etc).  Oh yeah,
I'm doing all of this on Sparc1's running 4.1.  If there's any more info
you need about what I'm doing, just say the word.

Brendan Kehoe | Soon: brendan@cs.widener.edu
For now: kehoe@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu | Or: bkehoe@widener.bitnet
Last resort: brendan.kehoe@cyber.widener.edu

GEHRI@cc.usu.edu (Gehri Grimaud) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct8.001528.12430@rice.edu>, kehoe@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
> ... But when I try to
> connect to port 25 with sendmail.mx set up as a daemon, it connects then
> freezes.

Did you copy sendmail.mx to sendmail?  I tried to just fire up
/usr/lib/sendmail.mx and saw un-results.  I usually do the following
excersize on all new systems after putting a sendmail.cf that I trust in
/etc:

kill any existing sendmail daemons...
mv /usr/lib/sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail.nomx
cp /usr/lib/sendmail.mx /usr/lib/sendmail
(cd /etc; /usr/lib.sendmail -bz)
/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h

> I've heard mention that I have to modify the libc.so.1.5 so that
> it uses the domain name service to resolve host names rather than using
> the yp (er..NIS) stuff. Umm...HOW? :)

In 4.1 all you have to do is set the B macro to -b in /var/yp/Makefile and
NIS does a DNS lookup as well as the regular NIS stuff...

Gehri Grimaud                           gehri@cc.usu.edu
Utah State University                   gehri@usu.bitnet
Office of Computer Services             tel. (801) 750-2392
UMC 3700
Logan, Utah  84322

hughes@azroth.csee.usf.edu (Ken Hughes) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov2.001612.9517@rice.edu>, GEHRI@cc.usu.edu (Gehri
Grimaud) writes:
|> In article <1990Oct8.001528.12430@rice.edu>,
kehoe@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
|> > ... But when I try to
|> > connect to port 25 with sendmail.mx set up as a daemon, it connects
then
|> > freezes.
|>
|> Did you copy sendmail.mx to sendmail?  I tried to just fire up
|> /usr/lib/sendmail.mx and saw un-results.  I usually do the following
|> excersize on all new systems after putting a sendmail.cf that I trust
in
|> /etc:
|>
|> kill any existing sendmail daemons...
|> mv /usr/lib/sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail.nomx
|> cp /usr/lib/sendmail.mx /usr/lib/sendmail
|> (cd /etc; /usr/lib.sendmail -bz)
|> /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h

I've found I also have to have an /etc/resolv.conf in order for
sendmail.mx to be happy, otherwise it hangs or complains about deferring
the name lookup.

|> > I've heard mention that I have to modify the libc.so.1.5 so that
|> > it uses the domain name service to resolve host names rather than
using
|> > the yp (er..NIS) stuff. Umm...HOW? :)
|>
|> In 4.1 all you have to do is set the B macro to -b in
/var/yp/Makefile and
|> NIS does a DNS lookup as well as the regular NIS stuff...

This is set in our makefile.  I find it curious that sendmail.mx wants the
/etc/resolv.conf instead of just using DNS.  Any suggestions?

Ken Hughes  (hughes@sol.csee.usf.edu)