[comp.sys.sun] Need more swap space!

giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA (Eric Giguere) (11/16/90)

Well, having discovered that our Sun 3/60 only has 16megs of swap space on
it, I need to reconfigure it -- one user can barely do serious Motif
development!  What steps should I take to make my reconfiguration as
painless as possible?  I'd like to increase the swap space to 50megs or
so, and I'm also installing more real memory.  (I want to have two people
doing Motif development!)

Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA

hughes@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) (11/28/90)

In article <215@brchh104.bnr.ca> giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA (Eric Giguere) writes:
>Well, having discovered that our Sun 3/60 only has 16megs of swap space on
>it, I need to reconfigure it -- one user can barely do serious Motif
>development!  What steps should I take to make my reconfiguration as
>painless as possible?  I'd like to increase the swap space to 50megs or
>so, and I'm also installing more real memory.  (I want to have two people
>doing Motif development!)

I don't remember all of the details, but this was a piece of cake on my
Sparcstation.  You can do it on the fly; basically, you make an empty file
(with mkfile) the size of the extra swap you want, add a swap entry in
/etc/fstab, and use the swapon command to turn it on.  Finally, you put
the swapon command in /etc/rc.local so it will execute every time you
boot.

Removing swap, however, is more tricky.

Check the docs, and call Sun if you need to, but it should go as smoothly
for you as it did for me.