[comp.sys.sun] Sparcstation 1 disk drive

ryan@arisia.xerox.com (Michael Ryan) (11/16/90)

Problem:  my disk drive will accept one and only one disk!  The very first
disk I formatted and mounted on /dev/fd0c works correctly.  Any other disk
I try to format and use is rejected so:

		mount: /dev/fd0c on /floppy: Invalid argument
		mount: giving up on:
		   /floppy

I am doing the formatting and mounting as the superuser.  Does anyone have
any ideas?

	michael ryan
	ryan@arisia.Xerox.COM

RIOUX@ecs.umass.edu (11/29/90)

In article <269@brchh104.bnr.ca>, ryan@arisia.xerox.com (Michael Ryan) writes:
> Problem:  my disk drive will accept one and only one disk!  The very first
> disk I formatted and mounted on /dev/fd0c works correctly.  Any other disk
> I try to format and use is rejected so:
>
> 		mount: /dev/fd0c on /floppy: Invalid argument
> 		mount: giving up on:
> 		   /floppy

I have just recently installed a floppy disk drive on my sparc station1
and I have experienced many problems with it.  One thing I could think of
is,  did you use the "newfs" command after formatting before trying to
mount your floppy? Other wise it may not be mountable as part of your
directory tree structure, and can then only be used for tar files.  I have
found three sets of programs that have been usefull to us working with our
floppy disk and many users working on it.  They are "fdmount" "ss1disk"
and "mtools".

fdmount: will format a disk and place the file system on the disk as well
         as mounting it as /dev/fd0c under a specified directory name.
         Unfortunately only the superuser can mount

ss1disk: the floppy has to be formatted and the file system placed on it
         (the author suggests using the format from fdmount) any user may
         mount the floppy using this utility (and an can eject it).  The
         floppy can then be an extension of your directory tree structure.

mtools:  this is a set of programs to be used with "Dos" disks (copy dos
         file to sparc or vice versa, etc.)

These programs can be found and retrieved via anonymous ftp from
titan.rice.edu

jim rioux
rioux@pleiades.ecs.umass.edu