[comp.sys.sun] Execute permissions on /usr/etc/halt

patrick@casbs.stanford.edu (Patrick Goebel) (11/21/90)

On our 4/330 running SunOS 4.0.3 I find:

% ls -lFg /usr/etc/halt
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     staff       81920 Apr 24  1989 halt*

Don't these permissions imply that any mortal user could halt the system?!

Patrick Goebel--patrick@casbs.Stanford.EDU

barmar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu (Barry Margolin) (11/29/90)

In article <356@brchh104.bnr.ca> patrick@casbs.stanford.edu (Patrick Goebel) writes:
>On our 4/330 running SunOS 4.0.3 I find:
>
>% ls -lFg /usr/etc/halt
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     staff       81920 Apr 24  1989 halt*
>
>Don't these permissions imply that any mortal user could halt the system?!

No.  The halt program has to perform a system call to actually reboot the
system, and this system call is restricted to the superuser (otherwise any
user could write their own halt program).

It would be a problem if /usr/etc/halt were *setuid* to root, e.g. if the
permission were -rwsr-xr-x.

Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar